Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Regulatory Science, Division of Analytical Chemistry. As a Chemist, you will work in a multi-disciplinary scientific/medical environment that reviews, evaluates and decides on the approvability of scientific submissions and applictions that request FDA regulatory approval for human food products and dietary supplements.
This job opportunity announcement may be used FDA-wide to fill additional vacancies within the same geographical location.
- Adapt, or develop, and validate new quantitative analytical methods for the determination of potentially harmful substances in foods, food-related products and dietary supplements.
- Mass Spectral Screening approaches to include software development.
- Devise new or modified methods based upon the chemical and physical properties of the substance.
- Operate and maintain complex scientific instrumentation including liquid chromatographs (high performance-HPLC, nanoflow, ultraperformance-UPLC), mass spectrometers (linear ion trap-LIT, quadrupole time of flight-QTOF, orbitrap and triple quadrupole-TQ), UV-visible spectrometers, capillary electrophoresis instruments, and automated data analysis software and systems.
- Recommend to laboratory management the purchase of new instruments and equipment needed to maintain a state-of-the-art laboratory.
- Instruct junior staff in the proper use of complex scientific instrumentation.
- Represent the organization on committees and at meetings by making commitments, suggestions, and recommendations concerning scientific issues.
- Write reports, scientific papers and scientific publications describing developed procedures/methods, applications, and results of studies.