Job Title:Supervisory General Engineer
Department:Department Of Energy
Agency:Department of Energy
Job Announcement Number:EERE-14-CR-009-AL-00332A
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, May 30, 2014 to
Thursday, June 19, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
TERM APPOINTMENT NTE 4 YEARS.|
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington DC, DC View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All U.S. Citizens|
This position is also advertised to status candidates as a Merit Promotion announcement, vacancy # EERE-14-MP-009-AL-00332A.
About the Agency
A successful candidate in this position will serve as a first-level supervisor, exercising technical and administrative supervision, over staff that provides scientific, engineering, technical, and administrative support to senior-level (SES) Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) Office Directors (herein after referred to as"Director"or"Directors'').
- Occasional Travel
- Twice a month
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program
- Background and/or Security Investigation is required.
- Relocation expenses will be paid.
- Completion of a one-year supervisory probationary period may be required.
- THIS POSITION IS NOT IN THE BARGAINING UNIT.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Supervisory General Engineer, you will:
-Serve as Supervisor for the Systems Integration (SI) Team and has the primary responsibility for implementing all Systems Integration related activities consistent with the Solar Energy Technology Office objectives.
-The SI Supervisor will make recommendations for specific activities within the national labs, industry, and academia to achieve program objectives.
-The SI Supervisor serves as a recognized public authority in his/her specialty area and as a policy advisor.
-Provide guidance and advice to officials, managers, and other engineers within and outside the Department and the results of this work have direct impact on DOE program operations and on progress in solar technologies at a national level.
-Define technical strategies, and manage the technical planning of complex research, development and demonstration activities associated with system integration and develops plans for allocation of technical tasks to industry teams, universities, and Nations Laboratories based on knowledge of current technical objectives, research approaches, and respective capabilities of these institutions.
-The SI Supervisor directs major elements of the Systems Integration portfolio.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as: Demonstrated leadership experience in solar energy technologies and electric power systems in order to manage a Systems Integration Portfolio to include planning of complex research and development and demonstration associated with systems integration.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
-Ability to develop programs that can influence the cost of solar energy technologies.
-Knowledge of business issues relevant to the development of the solar industry, including key market applications, current and evolving structure of the solar industry.
-Knowledge of major federal and state policy legislation affecting the adoption of solar technologies.
-Knowledge of project management tools, developing and managing technical staff performance objectives, professional development goals, and annual performance appraisals.
-Strong ability to prepare and make oral and witten presentations that clearly present specific issues/problems and provide recommendations for achieving program objectives in an effective and efficient manner.
Time-in-Grade: Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements for consideration.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Please review the OPM page for information on qualifications: 0801 series
Education: Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry)
Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
-Professional registration -- Current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
-Written Test-- Evidence of having succesfully passed the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination, or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
If this vacancy specifically states that certain educational requirements must be met (also known as a "positive educational requirement"), you must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
New supervisors are required to serve an one-year supervisory probationary period. New supervisors are required to complete 80 hours of supervisory training of which 40 hours must be completed during your first year as a supervisor.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference. Steps to submit a complete application:
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.Steps to modify or withdraw your application:
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
- Return to USAJOBS and log in.
- In the "My Account" screen, click "Application Status" in the left-hand column.
- You will see a table list of all the jobs you've applied to, click on the title of the application you want to modify.
- If the announcement is still open the button which normally says "Apply Now" will instead say "Edit Application", click that button. (If you want to withdraw your application from consideration after the closing date, contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement.)
- You will be directed to the application where you can make changes or you can click "Withdraw Application" to delete your application.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.email@example.com.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
- ALL APPLICANTS: Resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- If specific educational requirements are indicated for this vacancy: Documentation verifying your educational claims which can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and grade. Please see the Education section for more information.
- Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
- Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority. Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.