Job Title:Geophysicist, GS-1313-13 (PAC-JD-DEU)
Department:Department Of The Interior
Job Announcement Number:PAC-2014-0449
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, June 10, 2014 to
Friday, September 12, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|FEW vacancies -
Lakewood, CO View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens|
|Q - Nonsensitive|
About the Agency
*Are you an Geophysicist looking for a position in the Federal workforce? *Do you have a passion for the field of reflection seismology? *Do you want to be part of an important aspect of the Federal Government, helping with exciting and groundbreaking incentives? If you answered "yes" to these questions, then this is the job for you! Come join the USGS and start doing the job you've always dreamed of!
Why Is It Great To Work For The USGS?
Embark on an exciting future! From the peaks of the highest mountains to the depths of the deepest seas, the U.S. Geological Survey has career opportunities that make a difference in both the lives of others and in the environment. Would you like to join the more than 10,000 scientists, technicians, and support staff of the USGS who are working in more than 400 locations throughout the United States? Apply today! As the Nation's largest water, earth, and biological science and civilian mapping agency, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) collects, monitors, analyzes, and provides scientific understanding about natural resource conditions, issues, and problems. The diversity of our scientific expertise enables us to carry out large-scale, multi-disciplinary investigations and provide impartial, timely, and relevant scientific information to resource managers, planners, and other customers related to: the health of our ecosystems and environment; natural hazards that threaten us; natural resources we rely on, and; the impact of climate and land-use changes. For more information about the USGS please visit http://www.usgs.gov.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- Selectee may be subject to serving a one-year probationary period.
- Selectee must provide a valid driver's license and safe driving record.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Geophysicist within the Central Energy Resource Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Functions as an expert processing geophysicist for 2-D and 3-D seismic reflection data acquired in petroleum bearing basins and acts as an advisor to personnel in the USGS in matters concerning seismic data acquisition, processing and interpretation.
- Plans and develops optimum processing sequences, and performs research-level data processing in areas of complex geology, geophysical problem areas, and/or frontier basins (i.e. Nevada, Alaska, Puget Sound) using state-of-the-art techniques.
- Develops and implements innovative seismic data processing programs for mainframe computers, workstations, and personal computers to carry out detailed imaging of the earth's subsurface.
- Publishes results of research and studies in technical journals and USGS publications. Reviews potential publications of other scientists in the field of reflection seismology.
- Coordinates the processing and archiving of all onshore seismic reflection data for the ERP and acts as an authority in the area of onshore and offshore reflection seismic data processing.
The U.S. Geological Survey has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/telework.html.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
For information on basic qualifications, which includes information on whether you may substitute education for specialized experience, please click on the following: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/1313.html.
In addition to the basic education requirements, you must have 1 year of appropriate professional experience in the Federal service. Examples include:
For GS-1313-13: Applicants must have one year of appropriate professional experience in geophysics that is equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service. Examples of such experience include planning, executing and reporting on original or ongoing geophysical studies requiring a fresh approach to resolve new problems. The complexity of this work typically required extensive modification and adaptation of standard procedures, methods, and techniques, and the development of totally new methods and techniques to address novel or obscure problems for which guidelines or precedents were not substantially applicable. At this level, scientists have extensive knowledge of the principles of geophysics, exhibit a highly developed ability in their application, and have wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgment to perform scientific work of marked difficulty and responsibility.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- This position requires specific educational course work to qualify. You are required to provide all unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) or list of course work, which includes semester hours earned and grade received, by the closing date of this announcement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. This proof may be faxed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Required Documents" and/or "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If you are currently employed by the Federal government in the same occupational series as the advertised position, you are not required to submit transcripts at this time.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- You will be required to operate a government-owned or leased vehicle in the performance of your official duties. Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements: (1) possession of a valid state driver's license, and (2) possess a safe driving record. If selected, you will be required to provide both of these.
Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Vacancy Related Questions: As part of the online application process, you will need to respond to a series of questions designed to assess your possession of the following knowledge skills, abilities and/or competencies:
Basis of rating:
- Information Management
- Scientific Knowledge
- Written Communication
- Compute/Analyze Data
Category rating will be used in the ranking and selection process for this position. The quality categories are Best Qualified and Qualified. You will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you are eligible, your on-line responses to the application questions will determine your placement in the appropriate quality category described above. Your responses must be substantiated by your resume. If you do not respond to the application questions you may be rated ineligible. Veterans' preference rules for category rating will be applied.
To preview questions please click here.
- NOTE: If it is determined that you have rated yourself higher than is supported in your description of experience and/or education as described in your resume/application, or that your resume or application is incomplete, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be lowered.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
- Applications (resume and application questions) for this vacancy must be received on-line via USAJOBS BEFORE midnight Eastern Time (Washington, D.C. time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete online resume, you will not be considered for this position. Requests for extensions will not be granted. Most libraries, employment offices, and all USGS personnel offices can provide access to the Internet. If applying online poses a hardship for you, you must speak to someone in the Servicing Human Resources Office listed on this announcement PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE for assistance.
- Instructions for Applying Online for this Vacancy Announcement: 1)Click the blue "Apply Online" button. 2)If you are not a registered USAJOBS user, please create a new account and follow the instructions to complete your application process. If you are a registered user, login to access your existing USAJOBS profile. 3)As a registered user, select a stored resume and select one or more of your stored documents to attach to your application. 4)Check the "Certification" box and click the "Apply for this position now!" button located at the bottom of the screen. 5)Address the eligibility questions as well as the questionnaire containing questions and/or task statements that address the knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies for this vacancy. 6)Submit required documents using one of the available methods listed below. 7) If you experience technical difficulties during the online application process, please contact the USAJOBS helpdesk.
- If you are claiming veterans' preference you must submit a copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, by the closing date of this announcement. If you are currently on active military duty, you must provide documentation (e.g., campaign document, award citation, etc.), that verifies entitlement to veterans preference and that your character of military service is honorable. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, in addition to the DD-214, you must submit documentation that supports your claim (e.g., an official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs or from a branch of the Armed Forces certifying the existence of a service-connected disability; or receipt of a Purple Heart). If you fail to submit any of the required documentation, you will not be granted veterans preference. Additional information on veterans' preference can be found in the VetGuide.
- If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP eligibility, the Servicing Human Resources Office must receive proof by the closing date of this announcement that you meet the requirements of 5 CFR 330 Subpart F for CTAP and 5 CFR 330 Subpart G for ICTAP or you will not receive priority consideration. This includes a copy of the agency notice, your most recent Performance Rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location. Required documents may be faxed, uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Contact Information"). If you are a CTAP or ICTAP eligible, you will be considered well qualified if you earn a minimum score of 85 (prior to the assignment of veteran's preference points). For more information on CTAP/ICTAP please click here.
- If you are applying for this position based on eligibility under a special appointing authority, the Servicing Human Resources Office must receive proof of eligibility by the closing date of this announcement.
Required documents may be: 1)faxed to the Agency Contact (see "Contact Information") 2)uploaded directly from your desktop 3)uploaded directly from your USAJOBS stored attachments 4)hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see 'Contact Information').
- Auto-Requested Fax: allows you to submit required documentation that will be electronically displayed along with your resume.
- For additional information on special appointing authorities, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/non_competitive.html
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If you are rated as one of the most highly qualified candidates, you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 30-45 days of the closing date of this announcement. You will be notified via email of the outcome. You can also go to "My Account" within USAJOBS to review your Application Status.