In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: Experience that involved the protection of property against such hazards as fire, theft, damage, accident, or trespass and/or maintaining order and protecting life.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Security Procedures
- Protection of life & Property
- Operate Communications/ Surveillance Systems
- Traffic Control
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Personnel security investigation is required.
- May require overtime.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- Defense National Relocation Program will not be authorized.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Position requires employee to wear a uniform and/or protective clothing.
- May be made permanent without further competition.
- Competition for Security Guard positions is restricted by law to persons entitled to veterans' preference as long as such applicants are available for appointment.
- This position is subject to the Lautenberg Amendment to the Gun Control Act of 1968 which makes it a felony for anyone who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence to ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms or ammunition. Candidates with convictions of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence are not eligible for this position.
- This position requires drug testing prior to employment and subsequent drug testing for duration of employment in this position.
- This position requires the incumbent to pass a pre-employment and subsequent physical agility test.
- This position requires the incumbent to possess and maintain a valid state drivers license for the duration of employment in this position.
- This position is subject to the requirements of the Individual Reliability Program (IRP) regarding character, trustworthiness and fitness consistent with the high standards expected of law enforcement and security professions.
- This position will require incumbent to work rotating shifts and other than normal duty hours, which may include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- This position will require work to be done in all kinds of weather.
- This position requires the incumbent to undergo a complete security clearance background investigation in order to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- This position requires the incumbent to qualify with a 9mm semi-automatic pistol.
- This position requires a pre-employment physical examination and subsequent annual physical examinations.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority. See Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) for more information. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.