About the Agency
*One or more cutoff dates may occur at management's request during the open period for this announcement.**
Cutoff dates are as follows: June 10th, July 10th, and August 10th, 2014.
**Additional cutoff dates may occur at management's request during the open period for this announcement.**
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. Our efforts have provided inventors exclusive rights over their discoveries. It's an effort that continues to contribute to a strong global economy, to encourage investment in innovation and to cultivate an entrepreneurial spirit for the 21st century. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees, including engineers, scientists, attorneys, analysts, IT specialists, etc. all dedicated to accomplishing the USPTO’s mission, vision, strategic goals and guiding principles. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Careers Website.
This position is also being announced under the USPTO’s Merit Promotion Program, the job announcement number is CIO-2014-0205. Please review that announcement to determine if you are eligible for consideration under the Merit Promotion Program.
The Patent Systems Division (PSD) implements technical business solutions for the Patents Business Unit. This division is responsible for the communications, collaboration, project management, basic technology practices/development/processes, resource management, and system/business analysis necessary to support buildable and testable requirements for delivering professional information technology services and solutions to the Patents Business Unit. The Division is divided into two branches that specialize in the Patents systems that support: Patent processing and infrastructure; and Patent intake and search. The Trademark Systems Division (TSD) implements technical business solutions for the Trademark Business Unit. The Corporate Systems Division (CSD) implements technical business solutions for the Corporate Business Units (CFO, CAO, OGC, OCIO, U/S&DIR) and other business units including Patent and Trademark when the business solutions are not related to Patent or Trademark application processes.
This position serves as a Systems Development Lead (SDL) in PSD, TSD, or CSD.
- Serves as a technical lead expert and manages the software development of multiple medium to high cost, medium to high impact, and/or medium to high complexity large scale IT Software Projects or assigned automated information systems (AISs) to support business customer needs. As an expert technical authority, solves significant problems complicated by interfaces and interrelationships between and among programs, systems functions, policies, and numerous critical issues.
- Works with internal partners, such as project team members, Division Director, Branch Chief, and external partners, such as Business Users, other supporting groups and contractors, to complete projects. Independently plans, implements, reports on, and evaluates projects and tasks.
- Serves as a Task Order Manager. Creates and/or provides technical input to statements of work, task orders, and other acquisition related documents necessary to effectively obtain and manage contractor-supported AED projects. Uses Systems Development Life Cycle procedures to monitor and maintain the system development through production delivery. Prepares appropriate artifact templates, Project Resource Estimation Worksheets (PREWs), status reports, etc.
- As technical lead, applies technical and analytical skills to develop and support the best technical solutions to create plans for task order accomplishment.
- Monitors the technical effort being performed by vendors or contractors at the task order level. Advises the Contracting Officer’s Technical Representative (COTR) on performance or compliance issues of task order. Reports, documents and escalates performance issues or potential problems as soon as they occur or soon as possible.
- Holds discussions with stakeholders to ensure that work activities conform to business requirements and industry standards.
- Mentors and coaches lower-graded SDLs.
- Analyzes software and/or hardware problems and provides solutions. Solves a wide range of complex operational and support problems to meet customer requirements. Draws upon multiple IT specialties in order to accomplish complex tasks.
- Provides consultation and recommendations to organizational components of USPTO in the establishment of new or improved information systems and/or applications software. Researches emerging technologies and advises managers and customers on software and/or hardware needs, on new technology, and recommends modifications to current software and/or hardware that enhances or improves the agency’s ability to accomplish mission-critical program activities.
- Develops comprehensive independent cost estimates for new or modified systems and ensures the integration of all systems components; e.g., procedures, databases, policies, software, and hardware.
- Participates in systems production problems analysis, troubleshooting, and issue resolutions. Responsible for assembling the solution teams to resolve production problems, resolve issues, troubleshoot, and perform systems analysis, resulting in the restoring of production systems to a normal state or production readiness state.
- Ensures the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices to the systems analysis process.
- Participates in complicated special projects and serves as a project lead. Provides direction and guidance to team members.
- Provides guidance and assistance to co-workers or lower-graded IT staff.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.