GS-09: Posses at least one year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-07 level in the Federal service)that included participating in a team in the creation of visual products to communicate subject matter related to medicine, science, or technical equipment to public audiences through visual means (i.e. print, graphic, and on-line information); employing design and layout techniques, artwork, typography and computer based technology to produce visual information products; and researching and gathering specifications/requirements for visual information projects; OR possess a master's or equivalent graduate degree or two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in commercial art, fine arts, art history, industrial design, architecture, drafting, interior design, photography, visual communication, or other field related to the position. Subject-matter knowledge of medicine, science, or technical equipment is required; OR possess a combination of the required experience and education for this grade level as specified above.
GS-11: Possess at least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service,that included employing modern design and layout techniques, artwork, typography,and computer based technology to produce visual products that aid the public in understanding of medicine, science, or technical equipment subject matter;advising scientific staff on the use of visual means (i.e. print, graphic, and on-line information) most appropriate to communicate information to public audiences; and interviewing clients to gather project needs for the creation of visual products, including publications, illustration projects, and visual presentations; OR possess a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree in commercial art, fine arts, art history, industrial design, architecture, drafting, interior design, photography, visual communication, or other fields related to the position. Subject-matter knowledge of medicine, science, or technical equipment is required; OR possess a combination of education and experience required for this grade level as specified above.
GS-12: Possess at least one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal service that included using computer based graphics technology to develop and/or maintain web sites as well as design, produce, and reproduce other design solutions; planning technical details for the production of visual products for a unified campaign aimed to disseminate information and foster public understanding of medicine,science, or technical equipment subject matter; employing modern design and layout techniques, artwork, and typography to produce information products; and consulting non-graphics personnel and clients on appropriate methods and means to produce visual products and gather project requirements.
If you are claiming education as any part of your qualifications for this position at the GS-9 and GS-11 level, you must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Degree requirements must be met within 30 days of the closing date of this job announcement and your transcript(s) submitted must reflect this.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information,click onforeign education
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Failure to provide any of the above will result in an ineligible rating.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial Disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: No
11. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
12. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: Maybe
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Qualified candidates will be assigned to the following quality categories:
Best Qualified - Applicants who have experience that is almost identical to those required by the position.
Well Qualified - Applicants who have experience that is very similar to those required by the position.
Qualified - Applicants who meet minimum qualification requirements, but do not identify any additional qualifying experience or skill.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the required competencies listed below for this position.
- Visual Design
- Program Management
- Customer Service
- Graphic Design Technology
Application of Veterans' Preference: Under Category Rating procedures, veteran preference eligibles will receive selection consideration before non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link: View Assessment Questions