Job Title:Utility Systems Repairer - Operator
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Job Announcement Number:24WS-2014-0060
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Thursday, May 22, 2014 to
Monday, June 02, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy -
Fort Collins, CO View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This announcement is open to all United States citizens. (Current and Former Federal employees may also apply to Merit Promotion announcement #6WS-2014-0039.)|
About the Agency
The position is located at the headquarters of the National Wildlife Research Center (NWRC) in the Animal Research Building housing the Animal Care Unit. The building is used to conduct research on a wide range of wildlife control strategies, as they relate to impact on wildlife damage management issues. The incumbent is responsible for maintaining all mechanical, electrical, and architectural systems in the building.
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
- Occasional Travel
- Travel may be required.
- You must be a US Citizen or US National.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period.
- Valid state driver's license is required at the time of application.
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
-Maintains HVAC system, including all air handlers, VAV boxes, supply and exhaust fans, boilers, pumps, and control systems.
-Is responsible for maintaining lab support mechanical equipment, including, lab hoods, walk-in coolers, and ultra-cold freezers, animal cage wash system, animal watering system, lab air, lab vacuum system, lab air dryers, booster pumps, SNE lighting system, misting pumps, and chemical feed pumps.
-Maintains building environment with adequate lighting, heating, cooling, and air flow for both human and animal occupants per study requirements or at the request of tenants.
-Keeps records of equipment run logs, work orders, and preventative maintenance performed using automated system.
-Performs light janitorial services in the Animal Research Building by mopping floor weekly, stripping and waxing floors bi-annually, and cleaning all lighting fixtures.
-Performs all snow removal and grounds keeping services for the Animal Research Building, including weed removal, mowing, planting, seeding, fertilizing, and watering.
-Is responsible for assisting employees with moving of furniture and research equipment.
-Maintains and inspects proper functions of a Bio Level 3 Lab, including pressure differential reading, PPE usage, trending in BAS system, Exhaust system repair and PM’s.
-Ensures that all state and local codes are met for equipment inspections, including annual boiler and pressure vessel tear down and inspection and testing of all backflow preventers, fire system, and intrusion alarm systems.
-Works with contractors in assisting with new construction and tie-in to mechanical equipment in order to maintain minimum down time.
-Works with Safety Officer in order to ensure all state, local, and OSHA safety regulations are met in the workplace.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you must show you have had training and experience of sufficient scope and quality to provide you with the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position. Your answers to the vacancy specific questions must be supported by the work experience in your resume. For example, if you respond affirmatively when questioned whether you have experience performing maintenance and/or repairs on specific systems, equipment, and/or system components, your resume must include this experience, mindful that experience may not be inferred by job title.
-Satisfactory completion and favorable adjudication of a background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
-Work is performed at the research site (about 98%) with the possibility of field work when required. Operation of government-owned or -leased vehicles is required.
-Requires work under a wide range of adverse conditions (e.g. heat, dust, noise, adverse weather, cramped and remote spaces, heights) and vigorous physical activity involving lifting, carrying, pulling, pushing, and walking under conditions ranging from mild to extreme.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applications will be evaluated in accordance with Office of Personnel Management’s (OPM) Delegated Examining Procedures using category rating. Applicants who meet basic minimum qualifications will be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Category placement will be determined based on applicants’ quality of experience and the extent they possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (or competencies):
-Ability to do the work of a Utility Systems Repairer - Operator without more than normal supervision
-Knowledge of equipment assembly, installation, repair, etc.
-Technical practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
-Knowledge of materials
-Use of measuring instruments
-Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, etc. (includes blueprint reading)
-Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment
The questionnaire will assess your qualifications for the job, and will be used to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. Your ratings in this Assessment Questionnaire are subject to evaluation and verification based on the documents and references you submit.
Later steps in the selection process are specifically designed to verify your ratings. Attempts to falsify information; inflate your qualifications or providing inaccurate information on federal documents may be grounds to adjust your rating or to not select you. Errors, omissions or providing inaccurate information on federal documents may affect your eligibility. If selected providing inaccurate information on federal documents could also be grounds for dismissing you from the position/agency. Please follow all instructions carefully.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Please read the entire announcement and all the instructions before you begin. The following instructions outline our application process.
- You must complete this application process and submit all required documents electronically by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
- We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday). Applying online is highly encouraged. If applying online poses a hardship, please contact our office during business hours well before the closing date for an alternate method. All hardship application packages with supporting documents must be submitted no later than noon on the closing date of the announcement in order to be entered into the system prior to its closing.
- This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Create a USAJOBS account (if you do not already have one) at www.usajobs.gov. It is recommended that as part of your profile you set up automatic email notification to be informed when the status of your application changes. If you choose not to set up this automatic notification, then you will have to log into your USAJOBS account to check on the status of your application.Step 2:
Create a Resume with USAJOBS or upload a Resume into your USAJOBS account. You may want to customize your resume to ensure it documents duties and accomplishments you have gained that are directly related to this position in order to verify that qualifications are met. In addition, your resume must support your responses to the online questionnaire (you may preview the online questionnaire by clicking on the link at the end of the How You Will Be Evaluated section of the job announcement).Step 3:
Click "Apply Online" and follow the prompts to complete the Occupational Questionnaire and attach any additional documents that may be required. You can update your application or documents anytime while the announcement is open. Simply log into your USAJOBS account and click on "Application Status." Click on the position title, and then select "Update Application” to continue.
You must submit a complete Application Package, prior to 11:59, ET, on the closing date of this announcement. The following documents must be submitted for your application package to be considered complete. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents are received within the required timeframes. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, illegible fax transmissions, delays in the mail service, system failure or downtime, etc. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
- Resume that includes the following information: 1) job information for which you are applying; 2) personal information; 3) education; 4) work experience including the work schedule and hours worked per week as well as dates of employment; and title, series and grade if applicable; 5) supervisors phone number and e-mail address for each work period listed and whether or not we may contact them for reference checks; and, 6) other qualifications.
- College Transcripts if education is required for meeting basic qualifications and/or used as a substitute for specialized experience. An unofficial copy is sufficient with the application; however, if selected, an official college transcript will be required prior to entering on duty. All education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. Foreign education must be evaluated by an approved organization. For additional information, refer to the U.S. Department of Education web site at http://www.ed.gov. All transcripts must be in English or include an English translation.
- DD-214 (Member 4 Copy) if claiming Veterans’ Preference. Veterans claiming 10 point preference must also submit a VA Letter and an SF-15 Application for 10-point Veteran Preference. Current active duty members must submit a certification that they are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted.
- Other required documents may include:
- CTAP/ICTAP: Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, Notice of Proposed Removal, or appropriate OPM/Agency certification; AND most recent performance evaluation; AND SF-50 demonstrating your separation or the position from which you will be separated.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If you set up your USAJOBS account to send automatic email notifications, you will receive an email acknowledging: 1) the submission of your online Occupational Questionnaire and resume was successful, 2) if you were referred to the selecting official for consideration, and 3) if you were selected or not selected. If you choose not to set up automatic email notifications, you must check your USAJOBS account for the latest status of your application. Your application may be reviewed to verify that you meet the qualifications and eligibility requirements for the position prior to issuing lists to a selecting official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted. We expect to make a final job offer within 40 days after the closing date of the announcement.