Job Title:Director, Center for Infrastructure Systems and Technology
Department:Department Of Transportation
Agency:Office of the Secretary of Transportation
Job Announcement Number:OST.SES-2014-0016
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, May 16, 2014 to
Monday, June 16, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Cambridge, MA View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Applications will be accepted from all groups of qualified U.S. Citizens.|
Please Note: We will perform interim reviews of all applications received by midnight on May 27th, 2014 and June 9, 2014.
|Public Trust - Background Investigation|
About the Agency
We seek a dynamic and innovative leader to serve as the Director of the Center for Infrastructure Systems and Technology. This position oversees seven divisions – Security and Emergency Management, Situational Awareness and Logistics, Structures and Dynamics, Systems Safety and Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering and Deployment, Technology Innovation and Policy and Advanced Vehicle Technology. These divisions provide support for infrastructure systems and technology for the Federal Rail Administration (FRA), the OST-R/ITS JPO, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and other modal administrations of the U.S. DOT. In addition, research and technology support is provided to the Department of Defense (DoD), the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the DOT’s Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program, and other federal agencies.
To succeed in this rewarding and challenging leadership position you must have expertise leading applied research and technology projects in the transportation field. You must also possess exceptional management, planning and communication skills, and be able and willing to contribute as part of a collaborative management team. Travel is required (30-50%).
Visit our website to learn more about our world-class team, our work, and our award-winning programs and projects http://www.volpe.dot.gov/
- Occasional Travel
- Travel is required (30-50%)
- You must be a U.S. Citizen
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Provide all required documents by closing date
DUTIES:Back to top
The Director, Center for Infrastructure Systems and Technology:
Reporting to the Deputy Associate Administrator for Research and Innovation, you will lead and oversee the Center for Infrastructure Systems and Technology technical/scientific federal staff of 130 employees; a portfolio of 140 projects; and average annual obligations of over $30 million.
This Center maintains and applies internationally recognized capabilities in transportation engineering, research and analysis, safety and security and delivers services that meet current Volpe customers’ needs related to state-of-good-repair, safety, transportation technologies, infrastructure asset management, systems engineering, and other DOT priorities.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
As a basic requirement for entry into the Senior Executive Service (SES), you must provide evidence of progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capability; and that is directly related to the skills and abilities outlined under the Technical Qualifications (TQs) and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) listed below. TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS(TQs): Below are descriptions of the technical qualifications that will be to you within the online application.
You must clearly demonstrate in your responses how your experience supports each of the TQs.
TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQs): Below are descriptions of the technical qualifications that will be presented to you within the online application.
1. Recognized technical expertise leading research, development, evaluation, and deployment of transportation infrastructure-related systems, technologies, standards, and practices. Demonstrated knowledge of infrastructure engineering, safety systems, technology transfer and deployment, security systems, logistical support, and advanced vehicle systems.
2. Demonstrated executive management and leadership experience in a large government, not-for-profit, or private sector professional services organization that focuses on innovations in transportation infrastructure systems and technologies, including directing and managing technical staff responsible for applied research and development programs; managing significant program budgets; adjusting organizational structures to meet program needs; and leading/collaborating both horizontally and vertically to ensure the delivery of programs, products, and services while meeting time, budget, and customer requirements.
3. Demonstrated experience in a fee-for-service or similar environment developing business opportunities and ensuring successful business relationships with clients, including being the major point of contact for a customer; successfully attracting funded programs from the customer; having responsibility for ensuring all the business needs of the customer were met; and facilitating discussions between research and development managers and customer leaders to define future opportunities, strategies, and plans and develop funded programs.EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs):
Below are descriptions of the ECQs that that will be presented to you within the online application.ECQ 1 - LEADING CHANGE: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. Leadership Competencies: Creativity and Innovation, External Awareness, Flexibility, Resilience, Strategic Thinking, Vision
ECQ 2 - LEADING PEOPLE: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. Leadership Competencies: Conflict Management, Leveraging Diversity, Developing Others, Team Building
ECQ 3 - RESULTS DRIVEN: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Leadership Competencies: Accountability, Customer, Decisiveness, Entrepreneurship, Problem Solving, Technical Credibility
ECQ 4 - BUSINESS ACUMEN: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. Leadership Competencies: Financial Management, Human Capital Management, Technology Management
ECQ 5 - BUILDING COALITIONS: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. Leadership Competencies: Partnering, Political Savvy, Influencing/Negotiating
FUNDAMENTAL COMPETENCIES: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the Executive Core Qualifications: Interpersonal Skills, Oral Communication, Written Communication, Integrity/Honesty, Continual Learning, and Public Service Motivation. Additional information about the SES and Executive Core Qualifications can be found on the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) SES Website.
You are strongly encouraged to review OPMs Guide to SES Qualifications for specific examples and guidance on addressing Executive Qualifications in a Resume.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Complete a one-year SES probationary period (unless already completed).
- Complete a Public Financial Disclosure report, OGE-278. You will need to provide the information annual.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume and responses to the ECQs and TQs are an integral part of the process for determining your basic and specialized qualifications for the position. Responses to the qualification statements that are not supported by your resume and/or supporting documentation may eliminate you from highly or well-qualified status and/or result in non-referral. An SES rating and ranking panel will evaluate your application based on the quality and extent of your total accomplishments, experience, and education. Applicants determined to be highly qualified may undergo an interview and a reference check. If selected, your ECQs must be certified by an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualifications Review Board (QRB), unless you are a current SES executive or have successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program. You must receive certification before you can be appointed to the position. We recommend you preview the questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Veterans preference does not apply to the Senior Executive Service.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete online application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement posting.
- Create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Upload your resume and supporting documents.
If you are having difficulty applying online, please contact the DOT Automated Staffing Office during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET) at (202) 366-1298. You may also email us at Transjobs@dot.gov
The following documents must
be provided by the close date:
- RESUME - showing relevant experience and education. Please do not include pictures in your application package.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE - Responses to the Technical and Executive Core Qualifications are limited to 4,500 characters per question. Do NOT include your answers in the body of your USAJOBS resume, since they will be asked separately.
- SF-50 - Current & former federal employees should submit an SF-50 which shows your current (or most recent grade.)
- Current Career Senior Executives and individuals with SES reinstatement eligibility must submit a copy of an SF-50 which shows career SES status
- CANDIDATE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM CERTIFICATE - individuals who have successfully completed an Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved SES Candidate Development Program, submit a copy of your OPM certificate.
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the announcement will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If you have opted to receive account status updates via USAJobs, you will receive online confirmation that your application package has been received. All applicants will receive a notification email of the final outcome regarding the hiring decision.
Please Note: We will perform interim reviews of all applications received by midnight on May 27, 2014 and June 9, 2014. All applications must be completed and submitted electronically no later than midnight ET of the closing date. Final reviews will be performed after the announcement closing, and timely notice of the status of your application will be emailed to you. You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and selecting Application Status.