In order to meet the minimum qualifications for this TELECOMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST position, you must meet the following criteria.
Experience, education, or training involving the knowledge of the needs of communications users. Experience using computer and automation systems.
Must have at least 36 months experience that demonstrates a combination of specialized communications knowledge at management level. Experience reviewing training programs to ensure local requirements are met and enhance the awareness of state-of-the art and future technology. Experience involving applicable agency spectrum management (i.e., Communication Security (COMSEC) and Defense Message System (DMS)) regulations, policies, and procedures in order to coordinate, plan, and satisfy user requirements and to interpret and develop state policies and procedures. Experience involving technical or analytical work pertaining to multiple areas of telecommunications systems, facilities, services, and procedures.
Candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the KSA's listed below. Applicants are encouraged to address the KSA's in their application or resume or by submitting a supplemental statement with their application. Written response to each KSA will ensure that specialized experience criteria is recognized and credited.
1. Comprehensive working knowledge of engineering methods and techniques along with a knowledge of and skill in applying current commercial and military standards.
2. Comprehensive knowledge of advanced C4I concepts, principles, and practices of electronics engineering sufficient to analyze systems incorporating various types of communications equipment.
3. Comprehensive knowledge of and skill in the integration of existing and planned technology necessary to identify telecommunications requirements and ensure equipment interoperability and systems compatibility.
4. Comprehensive knowledge and skill in applying DoD, AF, and NGB policies, standards, directives, and operations manuals required to perform systems analysis, evaluate approaches, offer advice, define alternative approaches, and coordinate requirements regarding the merits of proposed applications and design changes.
5. Broad knowledge of the policies, methods and techniques for acquiring equipment, systems and services through military and civilian channels. Knowledge of the POM process sufficient to advise base-level planners on acquisition timelines and the development of funding projections.
6. Broad and general knowledge of the technical theory of electronic telecommunications concepts, principles, practices, procedures, policies, standards, and operational requirements.
7. Knowledge of customer support principles and methods. Ability to understand, evaluate, and translate the needs of customers into requirements and to relate customer requirements to existing technology, policies and priorities, available technology and other supporting services required.
8. Knowledge of and skill in using Computer Automated Drafting software programs.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Selected candidates will be required to be in a compatible military grade and assignment prior to the effective date of placement.
Compatible Military Assignments:
YOU MUST ALREADY BE A MEMBER OF THE NEW YORK AIR NATIONAL GUARD TO BE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for your application to be considered, you need to submit the following document:
(Resume must have a from and to date for each position worked in. The date must be month and year. Ex: 02/2012
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating and eligibility.
All qualified applicants will be forwarded to the selecting official, unless there are more than seven qualified applicants. In this case, the evaluation procedures in DMNA PAM 690-4, Chapter 5 will be used to further screen candidates prior to referral. A panel of three members will be appointed to rate the candidates using the KSA factors. Experience will be evaluated in terms of type and quality in relation to the requirements of the position. Length of service or experience will only be used when there is a clear relationship with quality of performance or when necessary to break ties when all other ratings are equal.
Following the determination of basic eligibility of the candidates as outlined in DMNA PAM 690-4, Chapter 5, qualified applicants will be referred to the selection official in the following sequence:
1. Category I: All excepted service technicians in the New York Army National Guard for Army technician vacancies and all excepted service technicians in the New York Air National Guard for Air technician vacancies, working at the location specified in the job announcement where the vacancy exists.
2. Category II: All currently employed excepted service technicians in either the New York Army or New York Air National Guard.
3. Category III: Qualified members of the New York National Guard (Army or Air), to include AGR personnel and temporary and Indefinite technicians, or other individuals who are willing to become members of the New York Army or Air National Guard.
* If there are fewer than three qualified applicants in Category I, then qualified applicants from Category II, III will be forwarded to the selection official, in sequential order, to provide at least three qualified applicants.