This position requires applicants to meet a Basic Education Requirement in addition to at least one year of specialized experience in order to be found minimally qualified. You MUST meet one of the following basic education requirements:
Degree: Successfully completed a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelors or higher degree with a major course of study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position, such as bioethics, philosophy, public policy, or any of the allied sciences.
NOTE: You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned to support qualifying based on education. Education requirements must be met by the closing date of this job announcement and your transcript(s) submitted must reflect this.
Failure to provide any of the above will result in an ineligible rating.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience at the next lower grade level (or equivalent) in the normal line of progression for this occupation as stated below.
At the GS-15 level:
Qualifying experience for GS-15 includes one year of specialized experience comparable to GS-14 which is directly related to the work of this position and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. For this position, specialized experience is experience developing and implementing regulatory, educational, and advisor programs for audiences which include personnel of research institutions, government agencies, and other organizations conducting scientific research on issues related the protection of the rights, welfare, and wellbeing of subjects involved in scientific social-behavioral and biomedical research.
Time-in-Grade: Career or career-conditional current and former Federal employees who select to apply under merit promotion procedures must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade level of this position.
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement is required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized: No
11. Time in grade (TIG) requirements must be met within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement.
12. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
13. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you meet the qualifications required; and on the extent to which your application shows that you possess the competencies associated with this position. If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may adversely affect your eligibility.
NOTE: One or More Subject Matter Experts (SME) will participate in the evaluation process.
The assessment questionnaire is designed to measure the following competencies that are required for this position:
Ability to lead program reviews to ensure the application of bioethical principles to the protection of human subjects and the integration of current research initiatives.
Knowledge of advanced analytical methods and techniques in order to identify disparities between program objectives and actual accomplishments, develop plans to eliminate gaps in performance and ensure that assessment criteria address appropriate priorities.
Ability to provide authoritative expertise to research institutions, HHS components, other Federal agencies, the media, and the general public concerning the application of policies, procedures and regulations for the protection of human research subjects.
Skill in managing and directing a staff of public health advisors, policy analysts, and support personnel engaged in the promotion of public health.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link: View Assessment Questions
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
If you currently occupy or have occupied a career or career-conditional position in the Federal competitive service but you have not occupied a position in the Federal service at or above the full performance grade level (FPL) of this position or if you are a veteran eligible under VEOA, check the box for specialty code Competitive. (See Other Information regarding eligibility.)
If you currently occupy, or have occupied a career or career-conditional position in the Federal competitive service at or above the full performance grade level (FPL) of this position or if you are eligible for a Special Hiring authority, check the box for specialty code Non-Competitive. (See Other Information regarding eligibility.)
If you are a current PHS Commissioned Corps Officer interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a career/career-conditional employee), check the box for specialty code PHS Commissioned Corps Officer at the time of application.
For Noncompetitive Applicants: All qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring agency.
For Competitive Merit Promotion and Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) Applicants: The highest rated candidates will be referred to the hiring agency.