This is an interdisciplinary position which may be filled as either a Research Ecologist, GS-0408; Research Geographer, GS-0150; Research Hydrologist, GS-1315; or Research Environmental Engineer, GS-0819 based on the qualifications of the person selected.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: See links below for specific specific basic education requirements for each series. Applicants only need to be qualified for one occupational series.
For Ecologist, GS-0408: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/0408.html
For Geographer, GS-0150: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/0150.html
For Hydrologist, GS-1315: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/1315.html
For Environmental Engineer, GS-0819: GS-0819 Qualifications
Specialized Experience Requirement: In addition to meeting the basic education requirement as stated in the above links, applicants must have one year of specialized research experience comparable to the next lower grade in the Federal Service. Research experience is that which has involved scientific inquiry or investigation and has shown creative and outstanding research and/or development that has led or can lead to major advances in a specific area of research. The work must have been creative in the sense that it developed a basic principle, product, concept, method, approach, or technique, or provided a body of basic information that opened the way for a major advance in the discipline or field of science. This work may have been achieved by providing a method of solving problems, opening areas of research and development or providing the means of exploring the application of science in a major area. Examples of research experience directly related to this position include participating on multidisciplinary research teams, planning and carrying out scientific investigations to advance science on water-related environmental issues and related areas of ecology, hydrology, landscape dynamics, and human impacts on aquatic ecosystems.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Research Experience. Completion of a PhD in a related professional field is fully qualifying to meet the specialized experience requirement for a GS-12 research position. Combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and specialized experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
This position requires specific educational course work to qualify. You are required to provide all unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) or list of course work, which includes semester hours earned and grade received, by the closing date of this announcement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. This proof may be faxed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Required Documents" and/or "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If you are currently employed by the Federal government in the same occupational series as the advertised position, you are not required to submit transcripts at this time.
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Basis of Rating: Category rating will be used in the ranking and selection process for this position. The quality categories are Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. If you meet the basic qualification and eligibility requirements of this position, you will be contacted via email after the vacancy announcement closes and given 5 calendar days to submit narrative responses that address the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) required to perform the duties of this position. You will be rated and ranked based on the information you provide in your resume as well as the responses you submit to the required KSAs. Veterans' preference rules for category rating will be applied. The knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position are as follows:
1. Knowledge of the principles, theories, and practices of ecology, hydrology, and related environmental disciplines, and the ability to prepare research plans, identify and develop the state-of-the-art approaches, execute research, manage budget, and to deliver the research results.
2. Skills, experience, and ability to conduct quantitative/numerical analyses, including ability to use modern methods and models to present and analyze ecological and hydrological data, to evaluate the model output, and to use the results to address decision related issues. Ability to identify and develop new quantitative approaches to address scientific and management issues, to develop quantitative tools, and to use tools to provide services.
3. Ability to communicate with natural resource managers, ecological restoration project planners and designers, identify scientific questions, prepare new research initiatives and proposals, and secure funding in Ecological Flow research area.
4. Ability to lead or serve as a major player in interdisciplinary research teams, coordinate and communicate to teammates and clients, support the missions of teams, serve at committees, represent USGS.
5. Ability to communicate research results effectively, in oral and written forms, both in peer-reviewed journal articles and presentations at professional conferences to other scientists, as well as in informational reports, briefings, and technical consultations with decision makers.
NOTE: If it is determined that you have rated yourself higher than is supported in your description of experience and/or education as described in your resume/application, or that your resume or application is incomplete, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be lowered.
To preview questions please click here.