About the Agency
This position is located in the Office of the Executive Director (OED), Financial Management Office (FMO), Financial Policy, Reports, and Controls (FPRC). The incumbent of this position serves as a senior accountant, providing expert advice and support in accounting and financial management-related activities. The incumbent has overall responsibility for the agency’s externally reported financial information, and is responsible for ensuring that the agency’s accounting system and policies are adequate and meet Federal financial management requirements and standards. The incumbent reports to the Assistant CFO for Financial Policy, Reporting and Internal Controls.
Incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Prepares, or oversees the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, including the Agency Financial Report (AFR), Notes to the Financial Statements and specific sections of the AFR that deal with financial information.
- Ensures timely submission of financial reports and schedules to OMB and Treasury. Reviews, analyzes, and validates financial data, ensuring that data contained in financial reports and statements is accurate and meets prescribed Federal accounting standards. Resolves accounting discrepancies in reported data.
- Performs, or oversees the performance of, ongoing and specific analyses of financial data in the agency’s general ledger to ensure reliability and accuracy of reported data. Recommends and implements remedies to complex financial reporting problems.
- Develops, or oversees the development of, new accounts, posting rules/models, policy, and instructions to ensure compliance with Federal accounting standards.
- Supports the ACFO as the audit liaison for the annual financial statement audit; responds to auditor’s requests by obtaining supporting documentation and monitoring timely submission of supporting schedules to auditors. Develops plans and leads the resolution of any financial reporting corrective actions.
- Provides expert advice and assistance to program officials and FMO personnel on specialized areas of accounting, including interpretation of financial data, unusual and difficult accounting systems issues, and financial management policies, practices, and procedures that guide financial work throughout the agency.
- Identifies policies and procedures in need of revision, develops and recommends proposed changes, and analyzes the impact of these changes.
- Plans, develops, and coordinates financial management improvements necessary to comply with OMB directives and legislation.
- Advises management on the implications of new standards and expected impact relative to implementation of required accounting standards.
- Provides direction and guidance in the configuration and implementation of automated systems to comply with accounting standards and accompanying reporting requirements.
- Coordinates the resolution of accounting system issues; tests systems changes to ensure that they do not compromise reporting requirements.
- Defines systems specifications; determines accounting data requirements; advises on modifications to configuration, interfaces, and data entry to accept new kinds of data.
- Develops instructional manuals, procedures, and policies related to financial systems and reports.