Job Title: Administrative OfficerJob Announcement Number: INV-NC147-14-OS
Department: Department Of Homeland Security
Agency: U.S. Secret Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, May 12, 2014 to
Friday, May 23, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Overseas Limited Appointment
FEW vacancies -
Pretoria, South Africa View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens - Eligible Family Member (USEFM) currently residing in Pretoria, South Africa. For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here.
About the Agency
Building on a Tradition of Excellence and Meeting the Challenges of the Future The Secret Service is a premier law enforcement organization with two critical national security missions: protect our nation's leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence - whether investigating financial crime or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the Secret Service, we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity and courage. In the Secret Service, we:
- Protect the President, the Vice President, and other leaders; investigate threats against them; and safeguard their residences and other facilities
- Plan and implement security designs for National Special Security Events
- Investigate financial crimes including fraud, identity theft and computer-based attacks on banking or telecommunications infrastructure
Joining the Secret Service, Office of Investigations, Pretoria Resident Office will allow you to oversee critical functions that have an impact on the office’s administrative program areas and be relied upon by the management staff to provide advice and guidance on administrative matters. Apply for this exciting opportunity to impact and enhance the administrative operations of the office by providing a variety of essential management services. This Administrative Officer position starts at a salary of $41,979 (GS-9, step 1), with promotion potential to $66,027 (GS-11, step 10). For more information on the Secret Service click here.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
DUTIES:Back to top
The selectee will serve as Administrative Officer in the Office of Investigations, Pretoria Resident Office. Typical work assignments include:
- Managing a variety of administrative and support services, as well as support for protective and investigative functions for the office.
- Administering functions to include human resources, finance and procurement, maintenance of facilities, property and records, automated data processing, telecommunications support.
- Preparing and developing reports, financial data, and statistical analysis.
- Using various criminal databases to conduct checks; maintaining cost tracking reports; and assisting investigators in preparing survey reports.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
GS-9: You qualify for the GS-9 level (starting salary $41,979) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-7 level performing duties such as: communications, procurement of administrative supplies and equipment, printing, reproduction, property and space management, financial management, records management, mail service, facilities and equipment maintenance, and/or transportation; support program operations using management information systems/office automation systems and processes, computer applications, principles and techniques; and plan and prioritize administrative support functions for an organization;
You qualify for the GS-9 level if you possess a master's or equivalent graduate degree or two full years of progressively higher level graduate education in a related field, leading to such a degree or L.L.B. or J.D., if related;
A combination of successfully completed graduate education and experience.
Qualifications Must Be Met: The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
1. Eligible Family Member (EFM): An individual related to a US Government employee in one of the following ways:
2. US Citizen Eligible Family Member (USEFM): For purposes of receiving a preference in hiring for a qualified position, an
- Spouse or same-sex domestic partner;
- Child, who is unmarried and under 21 years of age or, regardless of age, is incapable of self-support. The term shall include, in addition to natural offspring, stepchildren and adopted children and those under legal guardianship of the employee or the spouse when such children are expected to be under such legal guardianship until they reach 21 years of age and when dependent upon and normally residing with the guardian;
- Parent (including stepparents and legally adoptive parents) of the employee or of the spouse, when such parent is at least 51 percent dependent on the employee for support;
- Sister or brother (including stepsisters and stepbrothers, or adoptive sisters or brothers) of the employee, or of the spouse, when such sibling is at least 51 percent dependent on the employee for support, unmarried, and under 21 years of age, or regardless of age, incapable of self-support.
EFM who meets the following criteria:
- US Citizen; and,
- EFM (see above) at least 18 years old; and,
- Listed on the travel orders of a direct-hire Foreign, Civil, or uniformed service member assigned to or stationed abroad with a USG agency that is under COM authority, or at an office of the American Institute in Taiwan; and either:
- Resides at the sponsoring employee's or uniformed service member's post of assignment abroad or at an office of the American Institute in Taiwan; or
- Resides at an Involuntary Separate Maintenance Allowance (ISMA) location authorized under 3 FAM 3232.2.
3. Appointment Eligible Family Member (AEFM): EFM (see above) eligible for a Family Member Appointment for purposes of Mission employment:
- Is a U.S. citizen; and
- Spouse or same-sex domestic partner (as defined in 3 FAM 1610) or a child of the sponsoring employee who is unmarried and at least 18 years old; and
- Is listed on the travel orders or approved Form DS-0174, Foreign Service Residence and Dependency Report, of a sponsoring employee, i.e., a direct-hire Foreign Service, Civil Service, or uniformed service member who is permanently assigned to or stationed abroad at a U.S. mission, or at an office of the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT), and who is under chief of mission authority; and
- Is residing at the sponsoring employee's post of assignment abroad or, as appropriate, office of the American Institute in Taiwan.
- Does not receive a Foreign Service or Civil Service annuity
Conditions of Employment If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Obtain and maintain a top secret clearance. Completion of a single scope background investigation is required before appointment.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so, if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959.
- Level IV (Fluent) English, spoken and written is required.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
This announcement is being filled using the Overseas Limited Appointment. Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the duties of the position. Applicants who meet the basic requirement and specialized experience for the position will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration. All answers provided in the online process must be substantiated by your resume. Upon review, your resume and/or supporting documents need to support your answer choices and reflect the one year of specialized experience requirement, in order to be considered and deemed eligible. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Knowledge of administrative practices, policies, and procedures to advise staff, and recommend change.
- Knowledge of human resources, procurement, management and program procedures to advise and assist management.
- Ability to draft a wide variety of reports and correspondence.
- Knowledge of computer programs including MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
Veterans with preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles. For information on veterans' preference, please click here. To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
Currently employed U. S. Citizen EFMs who are employed under a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar day of their employment.
Currently employed Not Ordinarily Resident (NOR) employees hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
The US Mission in South Africa provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.
Relocation expenses will not be authorized.