GS-12: In addition to the requirements at the lower grade level, you qualify at the GS-12 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
· Designing and developing specifications for data collection and data processing requirements, operating procedures, training materials, and operational schedules for statistical studies and surveys.
· Applying advanced statistical analysis to socioeconomic or demographic data, and developing professional papers or reports on such data.
· Managing field data collection activities in large scale statistical surveys or studies
GS-13: In addition to the requirements at the lower grade level, you qualify at the GS-13level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
· Initiating, planning, executing and controlling segments of an organizations statistical studies or projects.
· Serving as a specialist for a particular statistical function or in statistics pertaining to a specific subject-matter field.
· Analyzing factual information to recognize and evaluate significant and critical factors in investigations to recommend solutions to complex problems.
GS-14: In addition to the requirements at the lower grade level, you qualify at the GS-14 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
· Initiating, formulating, planning, executing and controlling major statistical studies or continuing projects for an organizations primary research program or statistical project.
· Serving as a statistical consultant or advisor on broad research, administrative or operational programs.
· Establishing technical regulations and instructions for the conduct of statistical work.
Educational Requirements exist for all grade levels
A.You have a bachelors or higher degree; AND
B.You have 15 semester hours in statistics (or in mathematics and statistics, providing at least 6 semester hours were in statistics). Courses may be credited as statistical provided the course content is at least 50 percent statistical methods; AND
C.You have 9 additional semester hours in one or more of the following: physical or biological sciences, medicine, education, or engineering; or in the social sciences including demography, history, economics, social welfare, geography, international relations, social or cultural anthropology, health sociology, political science, public administration, psychology, etc.; OR
D.You do not have a bachelors or higher degree but do meet the course work requirements specified in B and C above, and also have additional experience or education. Your experience includes a full range of professional statistical work such as (a) sampling, (b) collecting, computing and analyzing statistical data; and (c) applying known statistical techniques such as measurement of central tendency, dispersion, skewness, sampling error, simple and multiple correlation, analysis of variance, and tests of significance. Your combination of education and experience must total at least four years.
Probationary Period: You may be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
The qualifications for this position must be met by 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement (Wednesday, May 14, 2014).
This position has a Selective Placement Factor - To qualify for this position you must have a working knowledge of quantitative estimating or forecasting using SAS, Microsoft Excel and Access, and/or other statistical software packages.
Residency Requirement: There is a residency requirement for all applicants not currently employed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This residency requirement states that candidates must have, for three of the last five years immediately prior to applying for this position; (1) resided in the United States; OR (2) worked for the United States Government as an employee overseas in a Federal or Military capacity, OR (3) been a dependent of a U.S. Federal or Military employee serving overseas.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will place you in one of three categories based on your responses to the on-line questionnaire regarding experience, education and training.
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Attention to Detail
- Written and Oral Communication
- Mathematical Reasoning/Data Analysis and Reporting
NOTE: Your resume and supporting documentation will be verified. If you rated yourself higher than what is supported by your application material, you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment
If you fall into best qualified category, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. To preview the job questionnaire, click here View Assessment Questions.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must be placed in the Well-Qualified category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans' preference, please click here.