Job Title:IT Specialist
Department:General Services Administration
Agency:Office of Citizen Services and Innovative Technologies
Job Announcement Number:1400216LDDE
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, May 12, 2014 to
Friday, May 23, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|FEW vacancies -
Washington DC, DC View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island).|
|Public Trust - Background Investigation|
About the Agency
This vacancy is also being announced as Vacancy Announcement Number 1400217LDMP under Merit Promotion regulations. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under Merit Promotion Procedures. Note: You must apply separately for each announcement, in order to be considered under both procedures.
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'.
As an IT Specialist, you will serves as a search analyst and works on search-specific information systems, policies, and business processes to help DigitalGov Search and Office of Citizen Services and Innovative Technologies (OCSIT) in planning and achieving their goals.
The position will be located in the Office of Citizen Services, OCSIT, General Services Administration, 1800 F Street NW, Washington, DC. OCSIT is the nation's focal point for data, information, and services offered by the federal government to citizens. In addition, the office plays a leadership role in identifying and applying new technologies to effective government operations and excellence in customer service in the government. The full performance level of this position is GS-12.
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
At this time we are only filling one vacancy, however, additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed.
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Occasional Travel
- Will be required to travel occasionally for official business.
- Apply online (See How to Apply Section)
- U.S. Citizens or Nationals
DUTIES:Back to top
Your major duties and responsibilities will be as follows:
-Serves as an IT Specialist with responsibility for working on the operational management of DigitalGov Search.
-Sustains a continuing knowledge of current and emerging technologies in the field of information access and retrieval, especially search.
-Ensures that DigitalGov Search's core search service continues to be commercial-grade and state-of-the-art by conducting ongoing research to identify search of best practices, standards, and technology and by providing recommendations to implement them.
-Collaborates with supervisor and other team members to create stories, wireframes, and other artifacts to communicate requirements for new features with developers.
-Assists in testing and accepting code to ensure it meets users' needs.
-Collaborates with supervisor and other team members to design the front-end user interfaces.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The GS-11 salary starts at $63,091.00 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
To qualify, you must demonstrate that you meet either the educational or experience requirements listed in A. or B. below:
In addition to
- A. A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree with a major study in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks (TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED!).
- B. One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-09 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience creating and maintaining information systems for web applications designed to assist users find relevant information. Experience must include experience maintaining datasets, metadata, or taxonomies.
the specialized experience described above, you must have IT-related experience in each of the following four competencies listed below, which must be supported by the information contained in your resume and other application materials.
- Attention to Detail - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant monitors, maintains, or updates data, records, or other information.
- Customer Service - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant provides technical advice or assistance to others.
- Oral Communication - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant initiates and maintains contacts with individuals outside the organization.
- Problem Solving - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant makes improvements, solves problems, or takes corrective action when problems arise.
: Qualifications are based on length and level of experience. Therefore, in addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from month/year to month/year) and the number of hours per week if part time. Qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, so failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. For a brief video on How to Create a Federal Resume, click here
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit to a financial organization of your salary check.
- Complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment" (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- If you are not a current GSA employee, you must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 to determine identity and employment (work status) eligibility. GSA will verify the information through the DHS e-Verify automated system. Any identified discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- Undergo a background investigation and receive favorable adjudication. This position has been designated as a Public Trust Position.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Category Rating procedure is being used to rate candidates. If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self assessment vacancy questions will be used to place you in one of the following categories: Qualified, Well Qualified, Best Qualified. Your responses to the vacancy questions must be supported by your resume or the Human Resources Specialist may adjust your responses lower. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Appropriate documentation must be received to adjudicate veterans' preference.
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
1. Ability to learn new, emerging technologies and evaluate them for potential use by the search service.
2. Skill in applying project management methods and techniques to effectively manage a variety of projects.
3. Ability to work closely with team members and use an agile, test-driven methodology to develop a strategic product roadmap, prioritize work, document business requirements and processes, and release new features and functionality on an ongoing, regular basis.
4. Knowledge and understanding of search technologies, search user interfaces, and search engine optimization.
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing.
If you are an Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan eligible or a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score of 85) to receive priority. ICTAP/CTAP
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete online application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. A description of the online process is provided below. For more information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
.1. To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account.
Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. Once you have completed this step, select "Apply for this Position Now!"2. Complete your personal information within GSAjobs.
Once you’ve been redirected to GSA’s automated system, follow the prompts to create, review, or update your personal information. This information is used to determine your eligibility to apply for this position so be sure that it is up to date.3. Respond to all of the vacancy specific questions.4. Submit any required documents. A "Vacancy Documents" page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system.
Review the Required Documents section of this announcement to determine which apply to you. You may choose one of the following options to submit your document(s): Upload; USAJOBS, or FAX. We strongly recommend you read the "Fax Instructions" provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.5. Respond to any Additional Assessment Questions.
If you are presented with additional assessment questions, be sure to respond to them or you may not be considered.6. Click the "FINISH' button
. Finally, you'll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the 'Save PDF' button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE 'FINISH' BUTTON to complete and submit your application.Note:
If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement (between 6:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m. CT) prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application.ICTAP/CTAP
Eligible: Submit proof of eligibility including agency notice; SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (or similar agency form); and most recent performance rating.Veterans
: In order to be considered as a preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214 that shows the dates of your active duty service. If selected, a DD-214 showing your type of discharge (member 4 copy) will be required prior to appointment. If you are claiming 10-point preference, you must submit the following in addition to the DD-214: (1) completed SF-15
form; and (2) proof of your entitlement to this preference. A list of documents which serve as acceptable proof of entitlement is indicated on the SF-15 form.Active Duty Military Personnel
- In lieu of the DD-214, active duty service members may submit a written document from the armed forces certifying that they expect to be discharged or released under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. This document must include rank, dates of active duty service, and type of discharge.College Transcripts: Submit a photocopy of your college transcript(s) if the qualifications for this announcement have an education requirement, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements. If selected, an official/sealed transcript will be required prior to appointment. For education completed outside the United States, also submit a valid foreign credential evaluation that substantiates possession of the required education. See OPM's General Policies for information on crediting education.Failure to provide the required documentation may result in your not being considered for the vacancy.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. Candidates in the highest quality category will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!