Job Title:IT Specialist (APPSW)
Department:Department of Defense
Agency:Defense Finance and Accounting Service
Hiring Organization:Deputy Director Strategy and Support, Info & Technology Dir Office, Cash, General Funds & Misc Divis
Job Announcement Number:D-DFAS-1116867-14
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, May 09, 2014 to
Friday, May 23, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|2 vacancies in the following location(s):|
Indianapolis, IN View Map
Columbus, OH View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens |
DFAS' mission is to lead the DoD in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas. For more information visit www.dfas.mil
Vacancy Information: This position is located in Deputy Director Strategy and Support, Info & Technology Dir Office, Cash, General Funds & Misc Division DCMS Mid-Tier & DTIM Branch
- Occasional Travel
- This position may require up to 24% travel.
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Background Investigation
- Suitable for Federal Employment
- Registered for Selective Service (if applicable)
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties described reflect the full performance level of this position.
- Uses PowerBuilder, Oracle PL/SQL and UNIX to test, modify and maintain software solutions for the Defense Finance and Accounting Service. Experience working with PERL or Pro *C is a plus.
- Analyzes designs, codes, conducts peer review, Unit Tests and implements system changes and enhancements.
- Creates technical specifications and analysis documentation; participates in systems requirement reviews and coordinates with customer/functional representatives and other technical personnel to clarify requirements.
- Analyzes functional and technical requirements of proposed or existing IT systems to determine avenues of development or modification necessary to meet mission objectives.
- Identifies how system modifications or new systems or subsystems affect current systems; prepares cost analysis; establishes target completion dates; and prioritizes proposed system changes or developments.
- Prepares system documentation for purposes of improving software development processes in accordance with acceptable industry standards.
- For vacancies filled at less than the full performance level of the position, duties will be developmental in nature.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Basic Requirement: Applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating:
1.) Attention to Detail
2.) Customer Service
3.) Oral Communication
4.) Problem Solving; -OR- Meet the education detailed in the qualification standards.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, qualified applicants must possess: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-09) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
GS-11 Specialized experience is defined as: developing/maintaining client-server applications using Oracle PL/SQL technologies to code, analyze, develop, and configure object-oriented solutions; testing and documenting existing and new Oracle PL/SQL code; and participating in the lifecycle development/modification of mid-tier Automated Information Systems.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
GS-12 Specialized experience is defined as: using Oracle PL/SQL and UNIX to code, develop, and test software engineering solutions for major information technology (IT) systems; modifying and maintaining Oracle database applications (Oracle 10g or higher); and participating in the lifecycle development/modification of Client/Server Automated Information System.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience for GS-12 grade level
Background or Security Investigation: This is a non-critical sensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection Procedures. All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated based upon information you provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If a determination is made that the work experience described in your submitted resume does not support your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire, your score may be reduced, and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are already a DFAS employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including removal from Federal service.
Eligible candidates will then be placed for selection consideration into 3 categories as described below:
1. Qualified Category - Meets the minimum qualifications as described in the Qualifications section of this announcement. The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
2. Highly Qualified Category Exceeds the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates proficiency in some of the job-related competencies based on the answers to the occupational questionnaire .
3. Best Qualified Category Exceeds the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates a high level of proficiency in the job related competencies based on the answers to the occupational questionnaire.
- Technical Competence: uses knowledge that is acquired through formal training or extensive on the job experience to perform ones job; works with, understands, and evaluates technical information related to the job; advises others on technical issues.
- Problem Solving: Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
- Software Development: Knowledge of the principles, methods, and tools for designing, developing, and testing software in a given environment.
- Customer Service: Works with clients and customers to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.