About the Agency
This announcement is for a Student Trainee (Administrative Support Assistant) position in the Office of the Assistant Director for Mathematical and Physical Sciences (MPS/OAD) at the National Science Foundation (NSF). OAD is a small, dynamic office, overseeing the work of our five Divisions: Divisions of Astronomical Sciences, Chemistry, Materials Research, Mathematical Sciences, and Physics, as well as the Office of Multidisciplinary Activities. The mission of MPS is to harness the collective efforts of the mathematical and physical sciences communities to address the most compelling scientific questions, educate the future advanced high-tech workforce, and promote discoveries to meet the needs of the Nation. The MPS Divisions support both disciplinary and interdisciplinary activities and partner with each other and with other NSF Directorates in order to effectively encourage basic research across the scientific disciplines. To learn more about MPS at the National Science Foundation, please visit: The Directorate for Mathematical and Physical Sciences.
Positions will be filled using hiring authorities under the Pathways Programs.
The Internship Program provides students enrolled in high schools, colleges, trade schools and other qualifying educational institutions with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while completing their education. Veteran's Preference will be applied in filling positions under the Pathways Programs.
• Eligible students must be enrolled at least half-time in an accredited academic institution and maintain a 2.5 GPA or higher.
• Students can be hired for Internship positions at any time during the year.
• Students typically work part-time during the school year and full-time during the summer, winter, and spring vacations.
• Students will be on indefinite appointments during their period of eligibility under the Internship Program.
• Interns will be required to sign an agreement that outlines the parameters of the Internship Program during employment with NSF.
• The Internship Program allows students an opportunity to be converted non-competitively to a career-conditional or term position once the student completes all requirements of the Internship Program.
• Noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term position is not guaranteed. The Intern's eligibility for conversion does not guarantee that the agency will opt for conversion.
As a Student Trainee (Administrative Support Assistant), you will:
- General Office Support: Serves as main receptionist for Office of the Assistant Director. Receives visitors, screens phone calls, tracks correspondence and documents. Serves as a liaison with other NSF organizations in coordinating activities and meetings, and assists with managing calendars and scheduling appointments. Serves as primary timekeeper. Assists with preparation of purchase orders and requisitions.
- Travel Management: Utilizes the NSF travel systems to arrange domestic and foreign official travel. Prepares travel authorizations and expense reports. Obtains hotel and transportation reservations. Coordinates meetings and appointments. Prepares Guest Travel documents.
- Special Projects: Participate in and/or lead special projects that involve independent thinking, teaming, and research and organizational skills, with an emphasis on program and data analysis.