About the Agency
USAID is an independent Federal Government agency that receives overall foreign policy guidance from the Secretary of State. With headquarters in Washington, D.C., USAID fosters transformational development around the world to support economic growth and trade; agriculture and the environment; education and training; democracy and governance; global health; global partnerships and humanitarian assistance. The Agency operates in four regions of the world: Sub-Saharan Africa; Asia and the Near East; Latin America and the Caribbean; and Europe and Eurasia. USAID employees in the Civil Service and Foreign Service, as well as individuals employed through Personal Service Contracts, must adhere to our Counter Trafficking in Persons Code of Conduct. For more information on USAID please click on the following link: http://www.usaid.gov/
The Public Health Analyst position is located in the Office of Health Systems (OHS) in the Bureau for Global Health (GH). The Office of Health Systems is the Agency’s center of excellence and focal point for worldwide leadership and technical expertise in Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) in the developing world. As the Public Health Analyst you will serve as an expert advisor and technical authority on complex and precedent-setting policy and program issues, develop policy, guidance, strategies, and plans for monitoring and evaluating OHS programs, including multi-sectoral programs. For greater specificity on the major job duties, please see the "Duties" section of this announcement. For more information on the Bureau, please click on the following link: Bureau for Global Health
This position is concurrently being announced under 14-0127-DM. The area of consideration for the tandem announcement is Federal Status Eligibles, meaning, those who have eligibility to compete under Federal merit promotion. If you are interested in this position you are encouraged to read the vacancy announcement in the entirety and follow the instructions listed under "How To Apply".
As a Public Health Advisor in GH, OHS you will:
- Develop monitoring and evaluating framework and operational plan for the OHS strategy, including roles and responsibilities; monitor indicators and targets; data sources; measurement and reporting methods; evaluation topics and methodologies; and use of monitoring and evaluation data and findings for increased efficiency and effectiveness.
- Track and analyze health system strengthening (HSS) monitoring and evaluating data from the work of the OHS, missions and country partners, key international actors including WHO, WB, global partnerships, other bilaterals, and the OECD, and use the information to advise USAID on HSS policy and program development.
- Advise the Agency on design and implementation of HSS evaluation studies, and develop HSS evaluation protocols.
- Support missions and partner countries to pilot test HSS monitoring and evaluating tools and methodologies and to adopt innovative and effective monitoring and evaluating approaches for HSS.
- Lead Agency HSS stakeholders to identify expected HSS results, create efficient and cost-effective approaches to track progress in achieving HSS results, design and implement robust HSS evaluation studies, and ensure that information feeds back into Agency HSS implementation and builds knowledge across the Agency and development partners.
- Function as a monitoring and evaluation expert within the OHS, providing leadership and expertise on all aspects of Agency HSS monitoring and evaluation policies and practices.
- Lead the development of the OHS monitoring and evaluation framework and operational plan, including identification (or development, where needed) of indicators, targets, and methodologies for measuring, monitoring, and evaluating the implementation of the OHS strategy and its contributions to the achievement of Agency and GHI health targets.
- Occasional Travel
- Position has a travel requirement of less than 25% to developing countries.