About the Agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
This position is ideal for an Information Technology Specialist looking for an opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge of technical, advisory and IT customer services related to the accessibility , usability and reliability of information processing hardware, software and systems crucial to the management, coordination and control of Region VII IT resources and systems. This position starts at a salary of $47923.00 (GS-09), with promotion potential to $75376.00 (GS-11). Apply for this opportunity to become a member of the Information Technology Branch in region VII located in Kansas City, MO.
Promotion Potential: Future promotions will be dependent on your ability to perform the duties at a higher level, the continuing need for an employee assigned to the higher level, and administrative approval
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
This position is being announced under FEMA's CORE Program (Cadre of On-call Response/Recovery employees). These positions are authorized under P.L. 93-288 to perform temporary disaster work and are funded from the Disaster Relief Fund. Appointments are excepted service, temporary appointments. This is a 2 year temporary appointment in the Excepted Service.
This position is located in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Region VII. The incumbent will serve as an Information Technology (IT) specialist for the Kansas City Regional Office and related disaster Joint Field Office and Long Term Recovery office operations. The incumbent reports to the Information Technology Branch Chief. However, when assigned as a member of the Regional Incident Management Team (IMAT), the incumbent will adhere to the priorities and other duties as assigned by the IMAT Team Leader.
Typical work assignments include:
- Resolves the customer support requests involving integration or configuration related issues.
- Responsible for the research and analysis on new PC/workstation equipment, software, and/or communications to ensure network compatibility.
- Performs planning, design and integration of system views as they relate to compatibility. Evaluates specifications and features of new products, performing product comparisons, feasibility and cost benefit analyses, and performance and compatibility testing.
- Identifies performance deviations from service level objectives. Evaluates configurations and operations to determine causes, and recommends management actions to restore quality services.
- Plans the installation of new LANs and complex modifications to existing ones. Recommends installation of a new or modified LAN or LAN segments including communication lines, bridges, modems, multiplexes, computer hardware, and software.
- Responsible for LAN network services and telecommunications. Monitors network servers to ensure optimal performance and analyzes server behavior to determine optimum throughput configurations.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional Travel may be required.