Job Title: Support Services Supervisor, GS-0342-15 NFJob Announcement Number: DAS-2014-0018
Agency: National Science Foundation
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Tuesday, May 06, 2014 to
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
WHO MAY APPLY:
NSF employees on permanent competitive service appointments.
About the Agency
This position is for the Branch Chief, Facilities and Operations Branch located in the Division of Administrative Services (DAS), Ofﬁce of Information and Resource Management (OIRM), National Science Foundation. The Branch Chief is responsible for providing a wide variety of administrative support services to Foundation employees and for the application of rapidly advancing technologies to existing systems and services. The Branch Chief is also responsible for managing the activities of three sections: the Facilities Management Section, the Security and Emergency Management Section, and the Property and Records Section.
- US citizenship
- Background investigation
- Preview questions at bottom of Qualifications & Evaluations--see tab above
- Supervisory/managerial probationary period
DUTIES:Back to top
The Branch Chief manages, leads, and coordinates a wide variety of functions, including facilities management, building services and security; procurement; property management , records management, information management policy (forms, issuances, OMB Clearance, etc.), the Information Center, Visitor System, Science Fare, and Announce Channel. The Branch Chief is responsible for managing and growing human resources and organizational assets in the Branch. Performs the full range of supervisory responsibilities and oversees the work of subordinate supervisors in the branch; ensures equity (among Sections) of performance; makes decisions on work problems presented by subordinate supervisors and/or contractors; hears and resolves group grievances or serious employee complaints; reviews and recommends disciplinary actions (e.g., suspensions) involving subordinates; makes decisions on training needs and training requests related to employees of the branch; and recommends awards or bonuses for personnel and changes in position classiﬁcation.
The Branch Chief’s area of supervision and leadership include the following:
- Project Management Services – Analyzes the Foundation's overall requirements for space and facilities based upon anticipated volume of operations, stafﬁng levels, known or potential changes in functions, workﬂow, and future plans for expansion or contraction of operations. Develops plans and makes recommendations for the most efficient use of existing space to meet current and anticipated space needs. Negotiates with the General Services Administration (GSA) and building lessors to adapt existing space or lease additional space for the agency as needed. Develops recommendations for space design.
- Mail and Services – Directs all aspects of mail operations, including the receipt, dispatch, distribution, collection and security 4 mail at all NSF locations to ensure the rapid and accurate ﬂow of paper communications to and from NSF.
- Property – Directs an excess property program designed to supplement support to the Foundation’s 12,000 grantees and contactors by providing them with excess government scientiﬁc equipment at no cost to the grantee.
- Records Management and Information Management Policy – Oversees the planning, development and direction of the agency's Records Management Program for the disposition of obsolete or outdated ﬁles.
- Information Center Services – Manages the development and provision of comprehensive, consolidated information services for NSF staff and visitors. This includes the Information Center, Visitor System, Announce Channel, and other services.
- Security – Exercises oversight responsibility for ensuring the safety and security of NSF employees and visitors to the building. Manages the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), energy programs, and other security and safety programs as set forth in mandated legislation and regulations.
The Branch Chief will also:
- Coordinate with NSF staff, management and representatives of other Government agencies in conjunction with the Foundation's mission in the services provided by the branch.
- Direct the preparation of internal policies and Foundation directives in response to legislation. Make major adaptations to existing policies or recommends new policies where Foundation guidelines are lacking or inappropriate for the functional areas assigned.
- Personally prepare or direct the conduct of long- and short-range projects and studies in the functional areas of responsibility to facilitate the overall planning of systems and services for the Foundation. Evaluate the relative value, technical risks, and feasibility of procedural changes within the branch and determines whether beneﬁts realized will enhance the efﬁciency and productivity of the branch.
- Serve as the DAS representative to various ad hoc and other informal or formal meetings with the Ofﬁce of Information and Resource Management and other directorate-level elements of the Foundation. As the DAS representative, attends Government-wide conferences and meetings related to branch activities.
- Provide advice to top-level management on program and policy issues in all areas wider than the incumbent’s jurisdiction. Develop long-range objectives and plans in these areas and presents briefings and recommendations concerning these objectives and plans to top-level Foundation management ofﬁcials (e.g., the Director, Assistant Directors, and staff Office Directors).
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify at the GS-15 level, you must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience in managing complex projects/operations including enterprise systems; planning, coordinating or directing a variety of service functions, such as space management, security management, building services management, etc.
Education may enhance skills required for this position; however, no substitution of education for specialized experience may be made at this level.
You must meet eligibility and qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date.
You must answer all job-related questions in the NSF eRecruit questionnaire.
All online applicants must provide a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
This is a non-bargaining unit position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Ratings will be assigned based on your responses to the occupational questionnaire. In some cases, additional assessment processes may be used.
Review your resume and responses carefully. Responses that are not fully supported by the information in your application package may result in adjustments to your score. A Human Resources Representative will validate the qualifications of those candidates eligible to be referred to the selecting official.
In the merit promotion selection process, due weight will be given to incentive awards and performance appraisals.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Your application should be submitted online and must be completed and all required documents successfully faxed (or uploaded) before 11:59 PM Eastern time on the closing date. You must answer all of the job-related questions to ensure full consideration for this position. For more detailed information, please review our NSF eRecruit Applicant Guide
If you do not have internet access or if you have questions, please contact the Human Resources Representative listed in the vacancy announcement.
WARNING! Applications submitted online must have a valid email address. If your email address is inaccurate or your mailbox is full or blocked, you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
If you are an NSF employee in a permanent, competitive service position, you need not submit documents to confirm status.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check the status of your application at any time on the USAJOBS website