Basic Education Requirement:Degree in operations research; or at least 24 semester hours in a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence in college-level mathematics or statistics. At least 3 of the 24 semester hours must have been in calculus.
GS-11: You qualify at the GS-11 level if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 level in the Federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to perform successfully the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
- Conducting moderately complex operations research and statistical analysis under the direction of a senior analyst; completing research projects supporting policy development and/or technical/program activities; assembling, reviewing, and summarizing data and other information; providing basic methodology and resource requirements input to lead analysts in the development of study plans; and assisting in the performance of quantitative and qualitative analysis
- You may substitute a PhD or equivalent doctoral degree or three full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to such a degree in a qualifying field for experience at the GS-11 grade level. This education must have been obtained from an accredited college or university and demonstrate the skills necessary to do the work of the position. (A course of study in computer science, mathematics, statistics, operations research, or engineering, or a related field is qualifying.) Check with your school to determine how many credit hours comprise three years of graduate study. If that information is not available, use 54 semester or 81 quarters hours.
GS-12: You qualify at the GS-12 grade level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in the Federal Government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the job duties. In addition to the requirements for the lower grade levels, you must also have experience performing the following duties:
- Analyzing potential E-Verify strategic direction. Analyzing ongoing E-Verify programs. Performing quantitative and qualitative analysis, data quality assurance, and developing graphics and reports based on analysis. Conducting moderately complex studies. Developing balanced scorecard measurement strategies.
GS-13: You qualify at the GS-13 grade level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal Government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. In addition to the requirements for the lower grade levels, you must also have experience performing the following duties:
- Experience at the professional level advising and consulting on a variety of technical recurring problems that involve applying operational research theory or application to a multi-unit organization. Conducting complex studies, trend analysis and evaluation on substantive operating projects/programs that require applying knowledge of qualitative and quantitative analysis of operating programs. Providing sound recommendations to critical problems. Developing and implementing measurement strategies.
Combining Specialized Experience and Education: If you do not qualify based on experience or education alone, you may be able to qualify based on a combination of your experience and education. For more information on combining education and experience, visit the following website: http://beta.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=List-by-Occupational-Series
Probationary Period: You may be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
The qualifications for this position must be met by 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement (Friday, May 16, 2014).
Residency Requirement: There is a residency requirement for all applicants not currently employed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This residency requirement states that candidates must have, for three of the last five years immediately prior to applying for this position; (1) resided in the United States; OR (2) worked for the United States Government as an employee overseas in a Federal or Military capacity, OR (3) been a dependent of a U.S. Federal or Military employee serving overseas.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will place you in one of three categories based on your responses to the on-line questionnaire regarding experience, education and training.
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
PLANNING, EVALUATING, AND PROBLEM SOLVING
TEAMWORK AND TRAINING
NOTE: Your resume and supporting documentation will be verified. If you rated yourself higher than what is supported by your application material, you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment
If you fall into best qualified category, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. To preview the job questionnaire, click here View Assessment Questions.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must be placed in the Well-Qualified category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans' preference, please click here.