About the Agency
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
This position is located in Department of Homeland Security(DHS), US Coast Guard, Assistant Command for Prevention Policy, Marine Transportation Systems Directorate, Office of Waterways and Ocean Policy (CG-WWM), in Washington, D.C.
The incumbent serves as Marine Transportation Specialist, responsible for a wide range of responsibilities and authority on various Ships Routing Measures (SRM) projects and for the development of international and domestic agreements and regulatory project.
Being a CG civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team. Typical work assignments include:
- Overseeing the investigations, reviewing, and validating data on navigational problems
- Providing expert advisory, consultative, and technical services to agency program and line managers on a broad range of transportation matters that involve new, highly controversial, or precedent-setting issues
- Administering or overseeing agency-wide transportations programs. Planning and leading implementation efforts for new initiatives and promoting technological advances
- Researching, analyzing, and synthesizing technical information to develop marine safety and marine environmental protection policies and to support ways to implement and enforcing policies that are consistent with applicable legislation and program objectives
- Developing new or proposing transportation policies, procedures, and guidelines for agency-wide use
- Requesting and reviewing comments on proposals from the public, industry, and other interested groups
- Preparing a variety of correspondence, reports, and documents including interpretation of the regulations and proposals
- Occasional Travel
- This postion requires occasional travel.