About the Agency
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
The vacancy is being concurrently advertised under merit promotion procedures for status applicants under announcement 14-1457-NE-KB-M. APPLICANTS WISHING TO BE CONSIDERED UNDER BOTH DELEGATED EXAMINING AND MERIT PROMOTION PROCEDURES MUST APPLY TO BOTH VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENTS.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located in Industrial Department, U.S. Coast Guard Yard in Baltimore, MD.
You will be responsible for operating tower cranes to unload and load supplies, materials and equipment aboard ships.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
* Loading and unloading supplies, materials and equipment such as foods, anchors, chains, steel plates, beams, pumps, lumber and similar items where masts, antenna and other obstructions are in the way.
* Positioning objects such as guns, masts, hull components, radar equipment and sonar equipment where accuracy is important.
* Lifting and placing small vessels from water to dock and dock to water.
* Operating other equipment such as forklifts, mobile cranes, bridge cranes and trucks.
* Performing pre-operating checks of oil, water, wire rope drums and limit switches.