Job Title:Supervisory Medical Officer - NHGRI - DH
Department:Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency:National Institutes of Health
Job Announcement Number:NIH-NHGRI-DH-14-1097467
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, May 05, 2014 to
Wednesday, May 14, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Montgomery County, MD View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens |
|Public Trust - Background Investigation|
The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employing approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visit NIH Overview.
If you have experience providing authoritative leadership on program and policy issues relating to genomic medicine, and developing a strategic vision for the effective integration of genomic discoveries into day-to-day clinical and public health practice, AND you want to play a significant role in a dynamic organization, then consider joining the NIH National Human Genome Research Institute. For more information, visit http://www.genome.gov/.
This position is located in The Division of Policy, Communications, and Education.
NOTE: THIS ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN AMENDED TO REFLECT SUPERVISORY DUTIES.
- 25% or Greater
- Average 1-3 nights per month
- THIS ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN AMENDED TO REFLECT SUPERVISORY DUTIES.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
- Medical license required (please submit current license)
- Positive Education Requirement (please submit transcripts)
- U.S. Citizenship requirement met by closing date.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Medical Officer for the Genomic Health Care Branch (GHB) some of your duties will include the following:
- Serve as the Chief of Genomic Health Care Branch and lead or co-lead policy development in such areas as genomic health care, clinical research bioinformatics standards, and education;
- Supervise and directs professional and clerical staff; develops and implements the Branch budget; and directs and oversees the implementation of fellowship, summer, and intern programs for the Branch;
- Provide overarching leadership for all activities within the GHB, including developing the strategic vision for the effective integration of genomic discoveries into day-to-day clinical and public health practice;
- Implement and coordinate GHB projects and initiatives;
- Serve on the leadership team that guides the division and institute in achieving its overall mission for genomic medicine;
- Direct GHB staff in conducting analyses of current and ever-changing policies and legislation in the area of genomic medicine, developing educational tools to enhance the use of genomic technologies in genomic health care, and in the development of programs related to health care promotion;
- Provide authoritative leadership on program and policy issues relating to genomic medicine on behalf of the institute in consultation with leadership and other relevant Institute programs;
- Initiate and lead innovative analyses involving complex clinical and scientific concepts and issues, and more!
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Degree: Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accredited body in the year of the applicant's graduation. (A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed pre-medical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).
To Qualify at the GS-15 Grade Level:
In order to qualify at the GS-15 level, the applicant must have completed at least five years of residency training in internal medicine or equivalent experience and training. In addition, one year of experience equivalent to the GS-14 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: leading and mentoring a medical staff in a research environment; providing leadership in the planning, directing and coordination of biomedical clinical research programs and activities, including administrative, regulatory and scientific matters; formulating program objectives, plans and policies regarding biomedical research; providing specialized medical expertise in identifying issues that affect the progress of biomedical research; analyzing, evaluating, and interpreting scientific and clinical data in order to prepare papers for publication; presenting medical findings at seminars and scientific meetings; formulating program objectives, plans, and policies regarding genetics and the application of genomic medicine; practicing in a teaching hospital independently diagnosing and treating rare or difficult cases; teaching residents and providing consultations with other physicians as an expert in genetics or genomic medicine.
View Assessment Questions
This position has an education requirement. You are strongly encouraged to submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades). Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required from all selectees prior to receiving an official offer. Click here for information on Foreign Education . If you are currently or were previously in this occupation series you do not need to submit transcripts. Instead, submit an SF-50 showing the appointment in this occupational series.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with Selective Service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Traditional rating and ranking of applications does not apply to this vacancy. Applications will be evaluated against the basic qualifications. Qualified candidates will be referred for consideration in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management direct hire guidelines. Veteran's Preference does not apply to the direct hire recruitment procedures. Selections made under this bulletin will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Current civil service employees would, therefore, be given new appointments to the civil service.