GS-12: You qualify at the GS-12 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
- Develops and writes information material designed to reach local and or national audiences through news media, such as wire service, radio, television, newspaper, and the Internet.
- Provides guidance, assistance and consultation to the field offices concerning Agency procedures relating to responding to specific requests from the media or the general public.
- Assist in the preparation of policy statements, attends meetings and conferences, and arranges interviews with Agency personnel, as required.
GS-13: In addition to the requirements at the lower grade level(s), you qualify at the GS-13 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
- Writing a variety of articles, news releases and speeches to specialized audiences about complex programs, activities and functions.
- Planning, coordinating and advising on information dissemination campaigns relating to agency/organization programs.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with national representatives of the media and public interest organizations.
- Evaluating the impact and effectiveness of communications plans and advising management on improvements.
Educational Substitution: There is no educational substitution at these grade levels.
Probationary Period: You may be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
The qualifications for this position must be met by 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement (Friday, May 16, 2014).
Residency Requirement: There is a residency requirement for all applicants not currently employed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. This residency requirement states that candidates must have, for three of the last five years immediately prior to applying for this position; (1) resided in the United States; OR (2) worked for the United States Government as an employee overseas in a Federal or Military capacity, OR (3) been a dependent of a U.S. Federal or Military employee serving overseas.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will place you in one of three categories based on your responses to the on-line questionnaire regarding experience, education and training.
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Oral Communication
- Analytical Skills
- Written Communication
- Reasoning Skills
- Customer Service
- Spanish Communication
NOTE: Your resume and supporting documentation will be verified. If you rated yourself higher than what is supported by your application material, you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment
If you fall into best qualified category, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. To preview the job questionnaire, click here View Assessment Questions.
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must be placed in the Well-Qualified category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans' preference, please click here.