Job Title: Electrical Engineer (Hydropower)Job Announcement Number: WTHF140222291109699D
Department: Department of the Army
Agency: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, May 12, 2014 to
Thursday, May 22, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Libby, MT View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
Libby Dam employs approximately 38 full-time and 17 part-time employees. Libby Dam project has one of the highest performing workforces of any Corps field office. These dedicated employees manage, operate and maintain the dam, powerhouse, recreation areas, and Visitor Center. They also manage the water resources of Lake Koocanusa, a geographic area that receives over 300,000 visitors a year. Libby Dam is a multipurpose project responsible for hydropower generation, flood control, recreation, fish protection, and wildlife management. Libby is not only a large hydro producer, but is a large flood control project.
10 hour work schedules and Alternative work schedules available, government voucher funded Van Pool, and the opportunity to live in scenic Northwest Montana. Recreational activities abound-- including hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, skiing, snowmobiling, biking, etc.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
- Occasional Travel
- Temporary Duty Travel (TDY) is approximately 15%
DUTIES:Back to top
If selected at the GS-11 level, you will perform the following duties with more supervision and less independence.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance for operations and maintenance of electrical and electronic equipment at a Hydro-power Plant.
- Troubleshoot major plant electrical/electronic systems.
- Develop or modify existing plant electrical schematics, control, and wiring diagrams.
- Make recommendations regarding repair and replacement of plant electrical/ electronic systems.
- Prepare preventive maintenance plans for plant systems and equipment.
- Develop test procedures, safety procedures and provide technical accuracy while adhering to National Electric Codes, National Electric Safety Code and USACE policies and procedures.
- Function as a Project Manager for designs prepared by Engineering Division, the Hydroelectric Design Center (HDC) or by A-E contract.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
In order to qualify, you must meet the education AND one of the experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: To qualify based on your work experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work of this job.
GS-11 - Specialized experience is defined as: experience with electrical designs relating to operations and maintenance of power generating systems for a power producing or industrial facility. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-09).
GS-12 - Specialized experience is defined as: analyzing and evaluating electrical power capabilities in existing and proposed power systems and their related planning, design, maintenance or repair at a power producing facility. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Ability to Provide Technical Assistance
- Knowledge of Power Generation Systems
- Ability to Review/Verify Plans and Procedures
- Ability to Communicate
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this position:
At the GS-11 level you may qualify if you have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
Combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience described above may be used to meet total qualification requirements at the GS-11 level.
At the GS-12 level, you must meet the specialized experience requirement: no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT:
You must meet the specific educational requirements for the occupational series below. Transcripts are required at the time of application.
GS-0850, Electrical Engineer
Please refer to the assessment questionnaire for the entire list of education and combinations of education/experience requirements. View Assessment Questions
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Management may select at either of the grade levels announced.
- Noncompetitive promotion potential to target grade
- This is a Career Program 18 position.
- Promotion to the target grade (GS-12) will be based on satisfactory performance and the completion of all training and qualification requirements.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.