Job Title: Engineering Technician - NIAID - DEJob Announcement Number: NIH-NIAID-DE-14-1102363
Department: Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency: National Institutes of Health
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, April 28, 2014 to
Friday, May 02, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Montgomery County, MD View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
United States Citizens
Public Trust - Background Investigation
The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visit NIH Overview
This position is located in the Division of Intramural Research (DIR), Office of the Director (OD), National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). The DIR has responsibility for providing mission and values-based business leadership, direction, support, and assistance to NIAID's national and international intramural programs and activities in order to enhance NIAID's strategic position in related areas of biomedical research; ensure responsible stewardship of resources in support of the research enterprise; maintain core values; optimize operational effectiveness of business services; and institutionalize accountability for achieving Presidential, Departmental , and NIH management goals and initiatives including continuous improvement and reengineering in a comprehensive and integrated manner.
- U.S. Citizenship requirement met by closing date.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
DUTIES:Back to top
If you are selected for the position as an Engineering Technician you will perform the following duties:
- Serves as Project Manager for development of the design and renovation/construction of Division of Intramural Research (DIR) facilities.
- Provide comprehensive advice to principal investigators on the design of facilities to ensure compliance with all applicable legal, regulatory, and professional design standards (BSL-2 and BSL-3).
- Identify, evaluate, and recommend practical solutions to complex, interrelated issues that often cross technicial lines, e.g., the integration of electrical, mechanical, and/or architectural features into a comprehensive project plan.
- Estimate resources requirements, including funding levels, staffing, and support services required for planned construction and renovations for sensitive services e.g., animal housing, delivery of liquid nitrogen, and oxygen services.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
For the GS-12 level: You must demonstrate in your resume at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector that included the following tasks: reviewing project documents to ensure that installation, testing, and commissioning of infrastructure is in compliance with specifications, codes, standards, and guidelines; performing field surveys of site constructions, repairs and improvements, and utility systems; performing safety and quality control inspections; creating project schedules; and managing contractors and subcontractor, ensuring quality work and safety in the work place.
Selective Factor: In order to meet minimum qualification requirements you must demonstrate possession of the selective factor of this position. Selective factor include(s) work experience in the design, operation, construction and renovation of Biosafety Level 2 and 3 laboratories.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with Selective Service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the minimum qualifications for this position, your application and responses to the online questionnaire will be evaluated under Category Rating and Selection procedures for placement in one of the following categories:
- Best Qualified for those who are superior in the evaluation criteria
- Well Qualified for those who excel in the evaluation criteria
- Qualified for those who only meet the minimum qualification requirements
Candidates determined to be Best Qualified will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points, but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category.
If you are a veteran, CTAP or ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links for additional information and required documents:
All such documents MUST be received by 11:59pm ET of the closing date, Friday, May 02, 2014, to be considered.