Job Title:Electronics Engineer
Agency:Federal Communications Commission
Job Announcement Number:DEU-OET-2014-004
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, April 23, 2014 to
Wednesday, November 5, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Columbia, MD View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All U.S. Citizens|
|Public Trust - Background Investigation|
About the Agency
This position is located in the Office of Engineering and Technology, Laboratory Division in Columbia, MD.
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN AMENDED TO EXTEND THE CLOSING DATE.
- Education-Transcripts Required
- Must submit a financial disclosure statement upon assuming the position.
- Serve a probationary period of one year, if applicable.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
- US Citizenship.
- Suitable for employment as determined by a background investigation.
DUTIES:Back to top
Provides professional wireless communications engineering advice and guidance to the Branch Chief and Division Chiefs on new wireless technology, compliance to electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) interference standards, and Radio Frequency (RF) safety, and Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC).
Provides technical support compliance guidance to manufacturers, test labs and the TCBs on (1) the equipment authorization program; (2) currently accepted test procedures; and (3) works with FCC technical staff to develop device test procedures for compliance with FCCs technical rules.
Works with senior engineers on projects and negotiations on resolutions to complex engineering and policy-matters with engineering staff of other Offices, Bureau's and, as appropriate other Federal agencies.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- Applicants must meet eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized Experience: Applicants must have a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to next lower grade level in the Federal service. For this position, specialized experience includes the following:
GS-12 Specialized Experience: You must have one year specialized experience related to the line of work of the position to be filled and which has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience includes:
1. Experience which demonstrates knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices of electronics engineering as it relates to telecommunications;
- Experience in the evaluation/analysis of new or novel applications existing communication technology;
- Knowledge of test procedures, equipment, and standards developed by national and international bodies;
- Knowledge of Radio Frequency (RF) safety and Hearing Aid Compatibility (HAC) compliance measurement techniques and procedures.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Degree Professional Engineering. To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
If you are qualifying based on positive education, please provide a copy of your college transcript. The transcript may be unofficial or photocopy at time of application, but MUST provide the original if selected.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order to receive credit towards qualifications. Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If selected, an official transcript will be required prior to appointment.
Please note your resume must thoroughly support your responses to the vacancy questions. Your resume is an integral part of the process for determining if you meet the basic qualifications of the position and determining if you are to be among the best qualified.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
All applicants will be rated on the extent and quality of experience and education relevant to the duties of the position. The FCC determines the BEST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES based on the major job related competencies and evaluation of your knowledge, skills, and abilities reflected in your application and supporting documents using the CATEGORY RATING PROCESS. All eligible applicants under Delegated Examining (DEU) will be placed in one of the following three categories:
1. Highly Qualified (Score 90-100) - the applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of major job related competencies and possession of all evaluation criteria;
2. Fully Qualified (Score 80-89) - the applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of major job related competencies and possession of the evaluation criteria; and
3. Minimally Qualified (Score of 70-79)- the applicants possessing only the specialized experience described in the vacancy announcement.
An automated score is administered based on the on-line application process used. Eligible applicants will receive a numerical rating based on their responses to the job specific questions for this position.
Application of Veterans Preference: The category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three" but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have compensable service-connected disability at least 10 percent MUST be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.
A selecting official may make selection from the highest quality category ("HIGHLY QUALIFIED") provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in the same category.
Applicants under Merit Promotion will be considered in accordance with the agency's merit promotion plan and union agreement.
There are several parts to the application process that affect the overall evaluation of your application including:
1. the core questions
2. the vacancy questions
3. supplemental documentation (e.g., DD-214, SF-50, SF-15, transcripts), if applicable; and
4. your resume.
Applicants will be rated ineligible, if they do not respond to job specific questions, provide supplemental documents and submit resume. For more information, please click on Rating Process.
You will be evaluated for this position on the following Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other characteristics (KSAOs):
Knowledge of new wireless technologies including softwared defined radios, cognitive and policy based radios, communication protocols, RF modulation techniques, pulsed transmission techniques, power management techniques, latest antenna theory and propagation theory (i.e., which has an impact on the evaluation of relevant RF technical parameters).
Knowledge of FCC Rules and FCC Lab policies and procedures.
Skill in applying a wide range of electronic engineering concepts, principles, standards and methods including metrology and laboratory measurement techniques, mathematical models and relevant unlicensed bands.
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
- Before hiring, an agency will ask you to
complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal
employment and to authorize a background
investigation. The agency will also ask you to
sign and certify the accuracy of all the
information in your application. If you make a
false statement in any part of your application,
you may not be hired; you may be fired after you
begin work; or you may be fined or jailed.
If you are a male over age 18 who was born
after December 31, 1959, you must have
registered with the Selective Service System (or
have an exemption) to be eligible for a Federal
- If applicable, you will be required to serve
a trial period of one year.
- In order for you to be employed at the FCC,
there are certain Commission and Federal laws
governing the financial interests of you and
members of your immediate family. If selected
for the position, you must submit a financial
disclosure statement upon assuming the
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To apply to this announcement go to the website: https://fcc.usajobs.gov
Your application, including resume, all supplemental documents, registration information and answers to job specific questions must be received no later than midnight U.S. Eastern time of the closing date. For more information on applying federal jobs, please check this webpage https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Main_Page
If applying online poses a hardship, please contact the Federal Communications Commission's Human Resources Office at (202) 418-0130 during business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time) prior to the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
Qualified applicants may be further reviewed and rated by Subject Matter Experts to determine the validity of on-line question.
NOTE: To be considered for an announced vacancy in the area of consideration within which the employee is eligible to compete, the employee must apply online using the Commission’s automated recruitment system. Employees must submit all necessary application materials identified in the announcement by the specified closing date.
***Your resume must clearly document how you meet the specialized experience in order to meet the minimum qualification requirements for this vacancy. Some positions require supplemental document(s). All required supporting documents MUST be received in the FCC'S Human Resources Office by midnight U.S. Eastern Time of the closing date of the announcement, as specified in this announcement. If you do not submit a required document (e.g. transcripts, etc.) your application will be considered incomplete and you will not receive further consideration. Additionally, you may not receive the special consideration, e.g. Vet's Preference, for which you may be eligible without the appropriate supporting documentation. Once you apply to this vacancy you will be prompted by the system to either upload the documents or print fax coversheets to fax the documents. The fax number will be listed on this sheet. If faxing, supplemental document(s) required should be faxed separately on the fax coversheet provided. Once faxed, you should receive an email confirmation within an hour. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your fax has not been successfully received and you should fax again. If you are unable to fax the required documentation, contact the Human Resources Office at 202-418-0130 prior to 5:00 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.***
Hardcopy Supplement Documents Required:
1. When the area of consideration is "Government-Wide" or "All U.S. Citizens." current Federal employees, including those eligible for noncompetitive transfer or reassignment, must provide a legible hardcopy of Personnel Action, SF-50, that verifies your status and highest permanently held grade along with your most recent annual performance appraisal.
2. ICTAP eligible candidates must submit a copy of their most recent annual performance appraisal (at least "Meets or Exceeds" or equivalent) and proof of eligibility such as a RIF separation notice or letter from OPM, or your agency documenting your priority consideration status. You must be rated fully qualified (a score of 80 or above) for the position.
3. If applying for consideration under a non-competitive appointment such as Schedule A, Excepted Service, all documentation establishing your eligibility must be provided.
4. Veterans MUST submit form DD-214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty," or an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
5. College Transcripts (For Positive Education Required positions and if qualifying based on education and or experience and education.), if applicable.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once your complete application is received, we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications to determine your ranking. The best-qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring official for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified of the outcome.