About the Agency
Reclamation is a contemporary water management agency. Reclamation is best known for Hoover Dam on the Colorado River, Grand Coulee Dam on the Columbia River and Folsom Dam on the American River. Today we are the largest wholesaler of water in the country and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the western United States. Visit: http://www.usbr.gov View our DVD titled “Traditions, Talent, and Teamwork” at: http://www.usbr.gov/pmts/hr/video/
This position is being filled in the excepted service under the Pathways Program. This is a planned and progressive education program that offers valuable work experience directly related to a student’s academic field of study. After successfully completing your education and meeting agency work requirements, you may be converted to a term, career, or career-conditional appointment.
Schedule may vary to accommodate the student's school schedule during the school year, and/or full-time during the summer and school breaks.
As a trainee, you will perform a variety of developmental assignments of progressive difficulty in areas of geography and the geographic information system (GIS). Assignments are designed to improve the trainee’s grasp and understanding of the GIS.
The ideal candidate for this position is an individual pursuing undergraduate degree program in geography or the Geographic Information Science and Technology Program. Candidates will be considered on the basis of the applicability of their education and experience.
Under the close direction of the supervisor or higher graded employee, the incumbent performs, assists in, and/or continues to learn about the specialized work of their assigned area through developmental assignments, such as:
- Assisting in the development of local guidance for the area office for GIS utilization and support;
- Assisting in the planning and implementation of applications involving GIS;
- Assisting in the development of GIS applications to spatially display and analyze climate and hydrologic data pertinent to reservoir operations;
- Digitizing data with Reclamation's GIS software;
- Assisting in the development and implementation of quality assurance procedures for digital data collected by area office personnel or contractors.
As the trainee progresses, assignments will be made to involve the incumbent in more difficult and challenging assignments.