Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
The Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for implementing the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. This law gives FDA authority over tobacco products by adding a new chapter to the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act. The Tobacco Control Act gives FDA the authority to regulate tobacco products and manufacturers based on the best available science and CTP is responsible for both assessing and fostering that science-base. CTP's actions have significant public health and consumer protection impact, and are among the most important issues faced by the Agency in its long and distinguished history.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Center for Tobacco Products (CTP), Office of Science, currently in Rockville, Maryland. CTP will be permanently relocated to Silver Spring, Maryland; tentatively scheduled for June 2014.
The incumbent serves as an Interdisciplinary Engineer in the Center for Tobacco Products and is responsible for developing research projects, provides engineering support in developing guidance; reviews documents submitted for regulatory action, and advises management on issues related to engineering subject matter.
This announcement will include 30-day cutoffs (first cutoff is 30 days after opening date). For each cutoff period, a list of candidates will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement FDA-CTP-MP-14-1102801
under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This job opportunity announcement may be used FDA-wide to fill additional vacancies within the same geographical location.
· Analyzes and determines adequacy of study data submitted by a manufacturer regarding the safety and public health impact of related products.
· Interprets engineering aspects of reports/submissions for tobacco products.
· Reviews study protocols and offering recommendations related to study design.
· Prepares comprehensive synopsis supporting reasons for the reviewers recommended disposition of applications.
· Provides advice and assistance to scientists and officials on a wide range of engineering matters.
· Develops new and/or revises guidelines/procedures for regulated products.
- Occasional Travel
- Less than 10% domestic and international travel may be required