BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in biology or a related field of science underlying ecological research that included at least 30 semester hours or the equivalent in basic and applied biological sciences. These hours must have included at least 9 semester hours or the equivalent in ecology, and 12 semester hours or the equivalent in physical and mathematical sciences.
Specialized Experience Requirement: In addition to meeting the basic education requirement as stated above, applicants must have one year of specialized research experience comparable to the next lower grade in the Federal Service. One year of appropriate specialized experience that is in ecology, biology or a related field of science underlying ecological research is qualifying if it is equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service, and if it equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position to be filled.
Examples of Specialized Experience for Research Ecologist, GS-12: Experience which has involved scientific inquiry or investigation and has shown creative and outstanding research and/or development that has led or can lead to major advances in a specific area of research. The work must have been creative in the sense that it developed a basic principle, product, concept, method, approach, or technique, or provided a body of basic information that opened the way for a major advance in the discipline or field of science. This work may have been achieved by providing a method of solving problems, opening areas of research and development or providing the means of exploring the application of science in a major area.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience. Completion of a PhD in a related professional field is fully qualifying to meet the specialized experience requirement for a GS-12 research position. Combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and specialized experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
This position requires specific educational course work to qualify, or you are qualifying based in whole or part on education, you are required to provide all unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) or list of course work, which includes semester hours earned and grade received, by the closing date of this announcement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. This proof may be faxed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Required Documents" and/or "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If you are currently employed by the Federal government in the same occupational series as the advertised position, you are not required to submit transcripts at this time.
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- You will be required to operate a government-owned or leased vehicle in the performance of your official duties. Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements: (1) possession of a valid state driver's license, and (2) possess a safe driving record. If selected, you will be required to provide both of these.
Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Basis of Rating: Category rating will be used in the ranking and selection process for this position. The quality categories are Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. If you meet the basic qualification and eligibility requirements of this position, you will be contacted via email after the vacancy announcement closes and given 5 calendar days to submit narrative responses that address the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) required to perform the duties of this position. You will be rated and ranked based on the information you provide in your resume as well as the responses you submit to the required KSAs. Veterans' preference rules for category rating will be applied. The knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position are as follows:
1. Knowledge and understanding of monitoring and modeling patterns and drivers of ecosystem disturbances (fire, insects and extreme weather, etc.) and their impacts on vegetation, carbon cycling, and other ecosystem services across broad spatial extents.
2. Knowledge of and experience using ecosystem simulation models to analyze the effects of disturbances on vegetation and carbon. Experience developing and implementing ecosystem simulation models using C++, C, FORTRAN, java, python, or other programming languages.
3. Ability to conduct complex and novel scientific investigations related to ecosystem disturbances and carbon cycling as part of a collaborative multi-disciplinary team.
4. Skill in written and oral communication of research results, with demonstrated proficiency in writing technical documentation, articles published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and making presentations at national scientific meetings.
NOTE: If it is determined that you have rated yourself higher than is supported in your description of experience and/or education as described in your resume/application, or that your resume or application is incomplete, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be lowered.
To preview questions please click here.