Applicants must meet eligibility and qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized Experience GS-11: Applicants must have a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 in the Federal service. For this position, specialized experience includes the following:
- Performing engineering concepts, principles and practices of electronics engineering;
- Providing advice to applicants, industry officials, and agency representatives; and
- Assisting in conducting technical studies to analyze interference potential and compliance with international treaties.
Have 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
Have a combination of graduate level education and specialized experience that meets 100% of the qualification requirements for this position
Specialized Experience GS-12: Applicants must have a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 in the Federal service. For this position, specialized experience includes the following:
- Conducting highly complex studies to analyze interference potential and compliance with international treaties;
- Upgrading user interfaces for software and writing new software routines; and
- Writing documents and communicating complex ideas and information in a clear and concise manner.
Specialized Experience GS-13: Applicants must have a minimum of one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 in the Federal service. For this position, specialized experience includes the following:
- Performing engineering analysis and studies related to communications systems (e.g. Internet Protocol networks, Broadband Access and Network Management);
- Experience in resolving unique and controversial problems related to cybersecurity, internet, and data communications;
- Providing expert advice and assistance on complex engineering issues; and
- Developing and presenting complex engineering related matters, authoritative position papers, and reports.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Degree Professional Engineering. To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link:
If you are qualifying based on positive education, please provide a copy of your college transcript. The transcript may be unofficial or photocopy at time of application, but MUST provide the original if selected.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order to receive credit towards qualifications. Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If selected, an official transcript will be required prior to appointment.
Please note your resume must thoroughly support your responses to the vacancy questions. Your resume is an integral part of the process for determining if you meet the basic qualifications of the position and determining if you are to be among the best qualified.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
All applicants will be rated on the extent and quality of experience and education relevant to the duties of the position. The FCC determines the BEST QUALIFIED CANDIDATES based on the major job related competencies and evaluation of your knowledge, skills, and abilities reflected in your application and supporting documents using the CATEGORY RATING PROCESS. All eligible applicants under Delegated Examining (DEU) will be placed in one of the following three categories:
1. Highly Qualified (Score 90-100) - the applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of major job related competencies and possession of all evaluation criteria;
2. Fully Qualified (Score 80-89) - the applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of major job related competencies and possession of the evaluation criteria; and
3. Minimally Qualified (Score of 70-79)- the applicants possessing only the specialized experience described in the vacancy announcement.
An automated score is administered based on the on-line application process used. Eligible applicants will receive a numerical rating based on their responses to the job specific questions for this position.
Application of Veterans Preference: The category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three" but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have compensable service-connected disability at least 10 percent MUST be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.
A selecting official may make selection from the highest quality category ("HIGHLY QUALIFIED") provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in the same category.
Applicants under Merit Promotion will be considered in accordance with the agency's merit promotion plan and union agreement.
There are several parts to the application process that affect the overall evaluation of your application including:
1. the core questions
2. the vacancy questions
3. supplemental documentation (e.g., DD-214, SF-50, SF-15, transcripts), if applicable; and
4. your resume.
Applicants will be rated ineligible, if they do not respond to job specific questions, provide supplemental documents and submit resume. For more information, please click on Rating Process.
You will be evaluated for this position on the following Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other characteristics (KSAOs):
To preview questions please click here.
- Knowledge of engineering concepts, principles and practices of electronics engineering.
- Ability to apply policy and technical guidance related to electronics engineering.
- Ability to communicate in writing in order to perfor studies, provide advice to applicants, industry officials, and agency representatives.
- Knowledge of conducting engineering studies.