About the Agency
This position is located in the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), Wildlife Services (WS) program, National Wildlife Research Center (NWRC). The program is multi-faceted and is directed at the reduction of wildlife damage as it relates to agriculture, human health and safety, public and private property, and natural resources.
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity. The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Participates in the development, preparation, and review of financial reports and budgetary summaries as well as the execution and presentation of budget and financial information for the NWRC projects.
- Makes recommendations regarding adjustment of funds to provide effective and economical utilization of all available financial resources.
- Compiles and prepares the annual operating, work, and financial plans for the NWRC Fort Collins projects in Fort Collins and field stations. This requires a general knowledge of the cooperative, reimbursable, interagency and trust fund agreements, miscellaneous field agreements, and federal allocations.
- Incumbent monitors the use and rate of expenditures as they relate to the actual or anticipated budgetary constraints and keeps the Project Leaders informed of those items.
- Prepares budget projections based on general knowledge and information received from the Project Leaders.
- Monitors the flow of funds through the federal, state, and cooperative financial agreement budgets through fiscal years which may not coincide.
- Reviews obligation/expenditure of funds to determine that they are within the limits of the approved budget and program plans.
- Responsible for review of documents such as Cooperative Service Agreements (i.e. reimbursable and trust fund).
- Calculates the cost of labor, transportation, equipment, etc., and determines program support costs for special projects and cooperative service agreements.
- Maintains the APHIS Cost Management System (ACMS) by entering planned/committed ledger items, salary projections, allocations, and agreements. Reconciles ACMS transactions and runs recurring reports using the ACMS Reporting Module.
- Reviews for completeness and accuracy all obligation documents, salaries/benefits assignments, cooperative service agreements, accounts receivable, travel vouchers, and invoices.
- Occasional Travel
- Some travel will be involved to field stations and headquarters.