Job Title: Student Trainee (Biology) GS-0499-03 (PAC-JD-PTI)Job Announcement Number: PAC-2014-0391
Department: Department Of The Interior
Agency: Geological Survey
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour
Monday, April 14, 2014 to
Friday, April 18, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Pathways Internship Appointment Not-to-Exceed 1-Year, -
Part-Time 10-32 hours during the school year Full-Time hours during summer.
few vacancies in the following location:
Flagstaff, AZ View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
All qualified U.S. citizens who meet the eligibility requirements for the Pathways Internship Program as described below.
Q - Nonsensitive
About the Agency
This position is being filled under the Pathways Internship Program which is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore Federal careers while still in school.
What are the Eligibility Requirements?
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Internship Program:
- you must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on a full- or half-time basis as defined by the school (certificate program means post-secondary education, in a qualifying educational institution, equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum); and
- enrollment is with a qualifying educational institution such as a high school or state-approved home school; or accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum.
- students currently enrolled must be in good academic standing maintaining a 2.0 grade point average on a cumulative basis.
- You must continue to meet these eligibility requirements throughout the duration of your appointment under the Pathways Internship Program.
- Occasional Travel
- Overnight travel of 3 nights per month required.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- The entire period served under the Intern Program counts as a trial period.
- Selectee required to complete a pre-employment physical.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Student Trainee (Biology) with the Southwest Biological Science Center, you will serve in a trainee capacity, performing routine and recurring development assignments to acquire knowledge and understanding of functions, principles, practices, and methods used in the area of Biological Science.
- Assist in collecting, sorting and organizing samples in laboratory and in field.
- Follow instructions in performing laboratory duties such as cleaning and maintaining field and laboratory equipment.
- Measure and make laboratory solutions, prepare solutions and use laboratory equipment.
- Follow standard operating procedures to determine the species, density and distribution of bird, plant and invertebrate populations.
- Field work requires hiking >10 miles per day, with 5000 feet elevation gain, carrying 40+ lb packs, possibly in extreme weather, heat and cold.
- Field work involves of several days to multiple weeks in duration of foot or by boat and camping in extreme weather conditions. Risks include but are no limited to: falls, insect stings, heat exposure, dehydration, hypothermia and drowning.
The U.S. Geological Survey has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework only during an emergency or natural disaster.
For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/pb/telework.html
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
In order to qualify for this position, you must meet one of the following:
-Six months of general experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the basic biological science duties or experience that provided a familiarity with the subject matter or processes of the broad subject area of the occupation.
- Successful completion of one year above high school that included at least six semester hours in any combination of scientific or technical courses such as biology, chemistry, statistics, entomology, animal husbandry, botany, physics, agriculture, or mathematics.
-A combination of undergraduate course work and experience which equates to 100% of the qualification requirement.
- If this position requires specific educational coursework to qualify, or you are qualifying based in whole or part on education, you are required to provide all unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) by the closing date of this advertisement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. This proof may be faxed, mailed, document uploaded or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- This is a temporary internship to complete project work that’s temporary in nature. The appointment is not-to-exceed 1-year and can be extended without further competition based on the need of the organization for the work to continue and provided the individual continues to meet the eligibility requirements described below.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
- If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts and/or letter from the school stating you are enrolled in a degree/certificate program on at least a half time basis in good standing and your expected graduation date.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- This position requires a medical examination at Federal expense.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Basis of Rating:
You will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements, your on-line responses to the application questions will determine your placement in the appropriate quality group (i.e., Best Qualified or Qualified). These responses must be substantiated by the resume. Veterans’ preference rules apply.
To preview questions please click here.