Basic Qualification Requirements:
All librarians must meet the requirements for professional education in library science or possess equivalent experience and education as shown for GS-7; however, as a standard practice applicants enter at grade GS-9 on the basis of a master's degree in library science.
Since many libraries are highly specialized, some librarian positions require a knowledge of a specialized subject or field of endeavor. Also, since materials in libraries are often in foreign languages, some librarians must have a proficient knowledge of one or more foreign languages. For such positions, applicants must meet requirements that are directly related to the subject matter or language of the specialization. These requirements are in addition to the basic professional library science requirements that apply to all positions. However, these requirements may be included in or supplemental to those specified for all positions. The following specializations are authorized: biological, medical, social or physical sciences, education, fine arts, business and industry, humanities, law, music, engineering, and the Germanic, Slavic, Oriental, Semitic, or Romance languages.
For GS-7: Applicants must meet the requirements specified in paragraphs A or B below.
A. Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate study in library science in an
accredited college or university, in addition to completion of all work required for a bachelor's
B. A total of at least 5 years of a combination of college-level education, training,
and experience. To qualify on this basis, the applicant must establish conclusively that the
education, training, and experience provided a knowledge and understanding of the theories,
principles, and techniques of professional librarianship; a knowledge of literature
resources; and the knowledge and abilities essential for providing effective library and
Evaluation of Specialized Experience (for positions at GS-9 and above):
Experience must have demonstrated the ability to perform, supervise, or direct one or more of the functional areas of work covered by this series; to understand the concepts, theories, new developments, and co-relationship of information in related fields; and to maintain up-to-date information on the state of the art. For positions where foreign language proficiency is needed, applicants must be able to read and/or translate material in the appropriate specialized subject-matter field.
In addition to the specialized experience from the OPM qualification standard referenced above a qualified candidate's online application and resume must also demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service for this position Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS
- Experience demonstrating reviewing licensing agreements;
- Experience demonstrating researching and analyzing information;
- Experience demonstrating assisting in drafting and review information policy and program implementation guidelines;
- Experience in reviewing plans to assure consistency with strategic and institutional planning activities; and
- Experience demonstrating providing assistance with library resources; archival materials, electronic database information, digital materials, electronic journals, and bibliographic citations.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT
write "see resume" in your application!
- Knowledge of the theories, objectives, principles, and techniques of librarianship;
- Knowledge of standard methods, techniques, concepts, and principles of one or more speciality areas of librarianship;
- Knowledge of project management techniques and methods;
- Ability to apply analytical methods and techniques to perform analyses;
- Skill in writing position papers, reports, recommendations;
- Skill in persuasive oral communications to present briefings to large and small groups;
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- If selected you must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
- The selectee will be required to submit to a full field background investigation prior to reporting to duty.
- Applications contain information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93 579, % USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- You will be required to complete an OF-306, "Declaration for Federal Employment" form used to (a) determine your suitability for Federal employment and/or (b) in conducting an investigation to determine your suitability or ability to hold a security clearance Federal employees must meet time in grade requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this Announcement.
This vacancy specifically states that certain educational requirements must be met (also known as a "positive educational requirement"), you must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated by our application system using the Category Rating procedure. A quality review will then be conducted by the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME). Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (if applicable to the job), and training described in your online resume/questionnaire as related to the duties of this position. The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified" and "Qualified". Veterans Preference eligibles will be listed at the top of whichever category your score places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted.
To preview questions please click here.