Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service. Become a part of our mission to unite our past, our cultures and our special places, to establish important connections to the present and build a rich and lasting legacy for future generations.
Kenai Fjords National Park is located in Seward, AK, which is 130 road miles south of Anchorage. A full range of services are available including grocery stores, medical and dental facilities, churches, a theater, gas stations, etc. Elementary through high school and a vocational school are available in Seward. Universities and all other services are located in Anchorage. Seward is located in a maritime climate on the Gulf of Alaska and receives abundant precipitation. Summertime temperatures range in the 40s to 70s and winter time temperatures typically range from the mid 30s to zero degrees. Numerous recreational opportunities exist for fishing, sea-kayaking, hiking, biking, skiing, etc.
TERM- This is a TERM appointment not to exceed 13 months and may be extended up to 4 years without further competition.
More than one position may be filled with this vacancy; if needed.
Government housing is not available.
As a Science Communicator Specialist, you will:
· Work with scientists, researchers, and resource managers to develop effective outreach and communication products.
· Develop a variety of outreach and communication products related to coastal and marine issues in Alaska National Parks.
· Develop and maintain websites and social media presence related to coastal and marine issues and research at Alaskas National Parks.
· Develop video products for web, broadcast, and other distribution.
· Research and develop interpretive programs for a variety of audiences ranging from NPS staff to park partners to visitors on a wide range of complex science subjects including park management issues and natural history topics. Demonstrate understanding of the interpretive profession.
· Maintain effective communications with coworkers and work in an interdisciplinary team in an office or backcountry setting.
Physical Demands: Work in remote settings for days at a time from a tent or substandard housing while exposed to inclement weather and wildlife encounters. Hike long distances while carrying heavy loads/gear.
For questions regarding the duties of this position, please call Benjamin Pister at (907) 422-0501 or Jim Pfeiffenberger at (907) 422-0502.