Job Title: Environmental Scientist/General Engineer/Physical ScientistJob Announcement Number: DOE-14-OREM-MP-4280
Department: Department Of Energy
Agency: Department of Energy
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, April 10, 2014 to
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
1 vacancy in the following location:
Oak Ridge, TN View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Current Oak Ridge Reservation (OREM, NE-ORSO, ORO, OSO, and OSTI) employees only
Q - Nonsensitive
About the Agency
A successful candidate in this position will serve as the Reindustrialization Project Manager for the Oak Ridge Office of Environmental Management responsible for the transition of DOE assets such as buildings, land, and infrastructure that are no longer needed to the private sector in order to accelerate cleanup and promote economic development at the East Tennessee Technology Park.
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- Resume and question responses must be submitted online.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug test and random testing after appointment.
- Subject to satisfactory security and suitability determinations
- See the requirements Section of the Announcement for other conditions
DUTIES:Back to top
As an Environmental Engineer/General Engineer/Physical Scientist, you will:
1. Plan, implement, and/or oversee projects that involve the transfer of underutilized DOE assets, including land, buildings, and infrastructure to the commercial sector;
2. Provide program recommendations that are related to asset disposition, facility reuse, and shut down/transition of infrastructure and implement those recommendations to ensure program goals and objectives are met;
3. Interact with representatives from the OREM, Oak Ridge Office; DOE Headquarters, and the local community to implement work and foster partnerships;
4. Participate in discussions and negotiations with Federal, State, and local government representatives, including regulators, in order to comply with requirements;
5. Serve as a Contracting Officer's Representative for assigned projects which includes reviewing, updating and interpreting contract documents, providing technical direction, and reviewing and approving project schedules and cost estimates to assure that project objectives are met within schedule and cost;
6. Ensure project related environmental, safety, and health requirements are implemented for the protection of human health and the environment;
7. Prepare program materials including plans, status/trend reports, and issue papers that will be provided to management, customers, and other stakeholders; and
8. Prepare and make presentations on assigned activities for management, customers, and other stakeholders.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
This vacancy specifically states that certain educational requirements must be met (also known as a "positive educational requirement"). You must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
You must meet the education requirement described in the applicant questions and at the following web site:
Professional and Scientific Positions: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=Group-Standards
The Individual Occupational Requirements for Environmental Scientist series (0401) can be found at: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0400/general-natural-resources-management-and-biological-sciences-series-0401/
The Individual Occupational Requirements for General Engineering series (0801) can be found at: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/all-professional-engineering-positions-0800/
The Individual Occupational Requirements for Physical Science series (1301) can be found at: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/general-physical-science-series-1301/
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- Experience demonstrating implementation of requirements for programs that involve the cleanup, disposition and/or reuse of complex facilities, including contamination control requirements;
- Experience demonstrating defining and implementing project objectives, scope, cost, and schedule;
- Experience demonstrating evaluating or overseeing contracted work;
- Experience demonstrating evaluating business opportunties; and
- Experience demonstrating interacting with a variety of senior level officials to accomplish work.
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Professional knowledge in engineering, physical or environmental science theories, principles, and techniques.
- Knowledge of project management principles.
- Knowledge of contracting policies, rules, relationships and adminitrative processes.
- Knowledge of the types of assets, including buildings, land, and infrastructure in Federal facilities.
- Knowledge of enivronmental, safety, and health laws, regulations and standards pertaining to cleanup and reuse of contaminated facilities.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements for consideration.You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your application to ensure you meet the job requirements.
If you meet the qualifications requirements and are found to be among the top candidates, your application will be referred to the selecting official for further review.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.Steps to submit a complete application:
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly. NEED HELP?
- You must have a USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a completed resume. (Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and require that you have a completed resume within your USAJOBS profile using the Resume Builder).
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation, which may include (but is not limited to) transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, and verification of veteran status.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the Apply Now button), please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement between normal business hours.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail USAJOBS3.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement during normal business hours.
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
- ALL APPLICANTS: Resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the questionnaire. Your resume must include dates of employment and salary for all positions held, and the series and grade of your current and previous positions, if Federal employment.
- Specific educational requirements are indicated for this vacancy: You are applying for a position that requires a degree or college coursework as specified in the qualifications requirements. Therefore, ALL APPLICANTS must submit a copy of their college transcript(s), or a diploma which shows the major in the advertised series which supports their meeting the stated qualifications requirements. Note: A copy of an SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, showing inclusion in a specific occupational series does not satisfy this requirement.
- Current/former Federal employees: If you are a current or former Federal civilian employee and you are NOT a current Federal U.S. Department of Energy employee, you must submit a copy of your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action, or equivalent, indicating current grade, step, salary, and tenure along with an SF-50 indicating the HIGHEST grade held, if different from what is shown on your most recent SF-50.
- Displaced Federal employees: ICAP/CTAP documentation.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After each step in the recruitment process, your status will be updated in USAJOBS. You can review your status in USAJOBS at any time. You may also elect to receive status updates via e-mail by changing the notification settings in your USAJOBS profile. Please check that your USAJOBS profile contact information is current and correct each time you apply to a job--this will ensure we are able to contact you as quickly as possible.