Specialized Experience Requirement
To be qualified for this position, applicants must have at least 1 year of prior experience in a managerial capacity with responsibility for providing supervisory direction to a large and diverse organization responsible for promoting and evaluating economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of Federal programs and operations and preventing and detecting fraud and abuse in such programs and operations. This experience must evidence sophisticated analytical skills, superior written and oral communication skills, good judgment, and experience in interacting with government and non-government officials.
In addition to meeting the Specialized Experience Requirement, candidates must meet the Basic Requirement for the ES-511 Auditing Series (Please see below in "Requirements" Section).
Senior Executive Service Requirements
Current or former career Senior Executive Service (SES) employees are not required to address the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), but must address the Technical Qualifications.
Unless you are currently serving under a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed an SES Candidate Development Program approved by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), you must submit a narrative statement covering each of the ECQ and Technical Qualifications questions in order to receive consideration for the position.
Additional information on the proper preparation of ECQ statements is available by going to OPM's website at http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf.
When responding to the Technical and/or Desirable Qualifications and ECQs, you must clearly show that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the duties of this position by submitting narrative responses in which you detail your experience in each of the Technical and/or Desirable Qualifications and the ECQs.
Your examples should be clear and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives, and level of contacts. You should limit your narrative to two pages per each ECQs and Technical Qualifications and/or Desirable Qualifications.
The Ethics in Government Act, PL 95-521, requires the applicant selected for this position to submit a financial disclosure statement, SF-278, prior to assuming the SES position, annually, and upon termination of employment.
In order to address all of the requirements outlined below, you must submit a supplemental document that addresses the qualifications outlined below. This document must be entitled "Executive Core Qualifications," and must not exceed two (2) pages per factor (further instructions below).
Mandatory Technical Qualifications
In addition to specialized experience, applicants must possess the following technical qualification that represents the knowledge, skills, and abilities essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position:
-Experience in planning, developing, and directing large or national scale audits from inception to completion.
The following Desirable Qualifications provide more information for the Rating Panel/Selecting Official to evaluate. You must address these Desirable Qualifications in your application. These qualifications will be used for rating and ranking, and if you do not address them, your application will be considered incomplete, and you will not receive further consideration.
1. A certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). (If you do not have a CPA certificate, please state that in the Desirable Qualifications section of your application. If you do claim to have a CPA certificate, you must submit a legible copy of it with your application in order to receive credit for it).
2. Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the Inspector General Act, the mission and functions of an OIG, and the governing statutes and regulations under which program operations are performed.
3. Demonstrated record of internal and external organizational collaboration, including partnering with other components of same organization to achieve results, and reaching beyond the immediate organization to outside stakeholders and customers to achieve results.
Failure to address the Mandatory Technical Qualifications AND the Desirable Qualifications will result in your application being disqualified.
Executive Core Qualifications
1. Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- Creativity and Innovation
- External Awareness
- Strategic Thinking
2. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
- Conflict Management
- Leveraging Diversity
- Developing Others
- Team Building
3. Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Technical Credibility
4. Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
- Financial Management
- Human Capital Management
- Technology Management
5. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, state and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
- Political Savvy
Fundamental Competencies - These competencies are the foundation for success in each of the ECQs.
- Interpersonal Skills: Treats others with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect. Considers and responds appropriately to the needs and feelings of different people in different situations.
- Oral Communication: Makes clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed.
- Integrity/Honesty: Behaves in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Shows consistency in words and actions. Models high standards of ethics.
- Written Communications: Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
- Continual Learning: Assesses and recognizes own strengths and weaknesses; pursues self-development.
In addition to the above requirements, all candidates must meet the Basic Requirement for the ES-511 Auditing Series:
Applicants may meet the Basic Requirement by meeting one of the following:
A. An undergraduate degree in accounting or in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours of accounting (may include up to 6 semester hours in business law).
B. At least 4 years of experience in accounting, or a combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. Such experience and/or education must include one of the following: 1) 24 semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality (including up to 6 hours of business law); 2) a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) obtained through written examination; or 3) completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing (e.g., 15 semester hours) but that does not satisfy the 24 semester hours requirement provided that (a) you have successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined you have demonstrated good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4 year course of undergraduate study in accounting or related field, and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, your education, training, and experience fully meet the requirements. YOU MUST SUBMIT DOCUMENTATION THAT YOU MEET THIS REQUIREMENT. A CURRENT SF-50 THAT SHOWS THAT YOU ARE IN THE 511 SERIES IN THE FEDERAL SERVICE WILL BE CONSIDERED ADEQUATE DOCUMENTATION. IF YOU ARE NOT SUBMITTING AN SF-50 SHOWING YOU ARE IN THE 511 SERIES, YOU MUST SUBMIT A LEGIBLE COPY OF YOUR COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT, OR A COPY OF YOUR CPA OR CIA CERTIFICATE IN ORDER TO PROVE THAT YOU MEET THE BASIC REQUIREMENT. IF YOU DO NOT SUBMIT PROPER DOCUMENTATION, YOU WILL BE RATED INELIGIBLE.
Only experience obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Experience and demonstrated capability will be evaluated using your resume, SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action), narrative statements for competencies underlying the ECQs, and responses to the online occupational questionnaire.
Applicants will be evaluated in the following manner:
1. Application packages will be reviewed for completeness (incomplete or late packages will not receive further consideration).
2. Basic qualifications review. Your resume and questionnaire will be reviewed to assure that you meet the Specialized Experience Requirement and the Basic Requirement. (If you do not meet these requirements, you will not receive further consideration).
3. Review of your supplemental qualifications document to determine your rating.
All five ECQs and the MTQ's and DQ's must be addressed in a supplemental statement of your application. Your response should be clear and concise and show a level of accomplishment and a degree of responsibility. In addition, your responses should highlight your experience, training, and achievements in conjunction with the resume that you provide. Additional information on the ECQs is available at http://www.opm.gov/ses/handbook.html. Applicants are encouraged to follow the Challenge, Context, Action, and Result model outlined in the guide.