This position is located in the Voice of America's Persian News Network (PNN). Incumbent serves as a Managing Editor responsible for the editorial direction and news content for PNN's Central News and Production Unit (CNPU) news output. He or she may be assigned to work on any program being broadcast by PNN via radio, TV and/or the Internet.
THIS POSITION IS NOT COVERED BY A UNION AGREEMENT
The Broadcasting Board of Governors is conveniently located within walking distance to the Green, Yellow and Blue Metro lines.
INTRODUCTION TO AGENCY
The Broadcasting Board of Governors (BBG), an independent federal agency, is an exciting, multicultural organization that encompasses all U.S. civilian international broadcasting. The BBG is comprised of the Voice of America, which delivers high quality, multimedia programming in 44 languages to audiences worldwide; the Office of Cuba Broadcasting (Radio and TV Mart); the International Broadcasting Bureau, which provides transmission, administrative, and other support service; and three grantee organizations - Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty; the Middle East Broadcasting Networks (Alhurra TV and Radio Saw), and Radio Free Asia. Our staff of dedicated professionals serves as an example of a free and independent media, reaching a worldwide audience with news, information, and relevant discussions.
- Incumbent has demonstrated superior journalistic news experience to conceive, plan, research, write, and edit highly targeted original news stories for TV, Internet, and radio programs.
- Initiates ideas and provides editorial news expertise for daily news output. Ensures accuracy of all aspects of story development, while maintaining a sound grasp of news, production and the need for skill and accuracy in executing all tasks assigned.
- Assigns work to writers, translators, and reporters, among others in the CNPU, in putting news broadcasts on the air and/or disseminating news via new media technologies. Works independently or assists colleagues to ensure fully professional, smooth,and timely TV, Internet, and/or radio programming.
- Conducts in-depth interviews with a wide variety of figures from all walks of life. Ensures interviews are as informative as possible, conducts extensive research prior to the interview.
- Identifies significant news events and best story coverage for television in U.S., Iran, and regional areas.