Who May Apply: Students eligible for the Pathway's Internship program.
The employees of the National Park Service care for the special places that are the heritage for all Americans. Since its inception in 1916, the National Park Service has been dedicated to the preservation and management of this country's outstanding natural, historical, and recreational resources.
Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service. The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the national park system for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations.
This position is being filled in the excepted service under the Pathway's Internship Program. The Pathway's Internship Program is designed to provide students with paid work opportunities in agencies to explore Federal careers while still in school. To learn more about the Pathways Internship Program please visit https://www.usajobs.gov/StudentAndGrads. Interns appointed from this vacancy will be in placed in position expected to last no more than one year. The appointment may be extended until the selectee's educational program requirements have been completed. Upon successful completion of his/her education and program requirements, the intern may be converted to a permanent or term position. Conversion is neither mandatory nor guaranteed.
To be eligible for a Pathway's Program Internship, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a student accepted for enrollment or enrolled in a degree or certificate program on at least a half-time basis and remain in good standing.
- Enrollment must be with an accredited educational institution or state approved home-school. These may include high schools, colleges, universities, technical trade, vocational, or business schools, and state approved home school secondary and post-secondary programs.
- Qualifying certificate programs are post-high school programs equivalent to at least one academic year of full-time study that is part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum.
- Educational institutions must be accredited by the organizations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. To see if your school is accredited, please visit: http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
- selectees will be required to sign a Pathway's Participant agreement and must maintain status as a student in good standing throughout the duration of the appointment.
This announcement will be used to fill full-time or part-time internship positions not to exceed 1 year with possible extnsions as long as the incumbent remains eligible for the Pathways Internship Program. This position may have varying work shedules and work schedule and hours may be changed or reduced depending on workload, funding, or mission requirements.
Please read the entire announcement before you apply. To view the entire announcement, select "Print Preview at the right hand side of this screen.
The purpose of this position is to function as a park guide to visitors and to develop and present a variety of interpretive programs. As a uniformed employee of the National Park Service, the incumbent serves as a front-line representative of the agency. In many instances, the incumbent may be the first and ONLY contact the visiting public has with an NPS employee. The incumbent is responsible for providing visitor orientation and current, accurate, information regarding the park. The incumbent provides information on areas of interest and programs available in the park, recreational opportunities, concession operated facilities, distributes maps and brochures, informs visitors of potential safety hazards or closures, and provides directions and routes of travel through the park. The incumbent will also conduct short, prepared, scheduled programs to the public on various park themes.
Additional Duty Location:
Position Location: Chickamauga & Chattanooga NMP, Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia Please visit http://www.nps.gov/chch for more information.