About the Agency
The U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration’s (PHMSA) mission is to protect people and the environment from the risks inherent in transportation of hazardous materials – by pipeline and other modes of transportation.
This position is perfect for mid-level career General Engineer who is looking for challenging assignments providing technical expertise in analyzing issues underlying policy and regulatory development. The Candidate for this position serves as technical advisor on all aspects of liquid and gas pipeline safety regulatory initiatives. In this position, you will exalt your professional knowledge of engineering fundamentals, concepts, techniques and procedures in the area of engineering analysis, to include overseeing the technical support for the development and implementation of program guidelines relating to pipeline industry performance and, identifying when further support is needed to address matters having national significance in pipeline safety.
This position offers excellent benefits, including the potential for ongoing medical benefits after retirement. Alternative work schedules and telework schedules are strongly encouraged
As a General Engineer at the full performance level you will:
- Conduct investigative research to identify and test technology-based processes and activities to better anticipate and prevent safety and environmental problems; evaluate the adequacy of pipeline industry operators’ risk control actions on a national level evaluate the adequacy of pipeline industry operators’ risk control actions on a national level, as well as on an individual basis; analyze data to pinpoint safety issues and makes recommendations on programmatic solutions; and perform technical assessments in major field investigations as needed.
- Serve as the primary advisor and help the Engineering and Research Division maintain internal and external communication through Internet based publications, town-hall technology briefings and public notification of program/project status. Deliver logical, analytical and comprehensive solutions during public meetings designed to communicate pipeline safety R&D projects. Maintain effective relationships and outreach with other government agencies as needed for the department.
- Provide direct technical support or adequate contractor support for development and implementation of program and procedural guidelines for evaluating pipeline industry performance. Candidate will also be responsible for identifying problems and issues having national significance and for ensuring contractor support is available as needed to address and resolve them.
- Utilize a thorough technical professional knowledge of engineering fundamentals, concepts, techniques and procedures in the areas of engineering analysis. Exercise originality and technical engineering judgment in developing and conducting phases or projects lacking precedent guidance and involving determinations of new or unique methods of approach, unusual evaluation techniques, and special adaptation. .
- 25% or Greater
- This position requires extensive travel up to 50% of the time and the ability to qualify for and maintain a Government travel card.