Job Title:General Engineer, GS-0801-9/11/12/13 (Open to All U.S. Citizens) MB
Department:Department Of Transportation
Agency:Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
Job Announcement Number:PHMSA.PSHQ-2014-0011
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, March 31, 2014 to
Wednesday, April 09, 2014|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time - -
|1 vacancy -
Washington DC, DC View Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.|
This job is also being advertised for applicants eligible for status consideration. Current and former status employees and veterans who qualify under VEOA are encouraged to also apply to announcement: PHMSA.PSHQ-2014-0008.
|Q - Nonsensitive|
About the Agency
The U.S. Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration’s (PHMSA) mission is to protect people and the environment from the risks inherent in transportation of hazardous materials – by pipeline and other modes of transportation.
This position is perfect for mid-level career General Engineer who is looking for challenging assignments providing technical expertise in analyzing issues underlying policy and regulatory development. The Candidate for this position serves as technical advisor on all aspects of liquid and gas pipeline safety regulatory initiatives. In this position, you will exalt your professional knowledge of engineering fundamentals, concepts, techniques and procedures in the area of engineering analysis, to include overseeing the technical support for the development and implementation of program guidelines relating to pipeline industry performance and, identifying when further support is needed to address matters having national significance in pipeline safety.
This position offers excellent benefits, including the potential for ongoing medical benefits after retirement. Alternative work schedules and telework schedules are strongly encouraged
- 25% or Greater
- This position requires extensive travel up to 50% of the time and the ability to qualify for and maintain a Government travel card.
- Applications will be accepted from any U.S. Citizen.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Provide all required documents by closing date.
- PHMSA will not pay relocation expenses.
- Announcement also advertised Merit Promotion: PHMSA.PSHQ-2014-0008.
- Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a General Engineer at the full performance level you will:
- Conduct investigative research to identify and test technology-based processes and activities to better anticipate and prevent safety and environmental problems; evaluate the adequacy of pipeline industry operators’ risk control actions on a national level evaluate the adequacy of pipeline industry operators’ risk control actions on a national level, as well as on an individual basis; analyze data to pinpoint safety issues and makes recommendations on programmatic solutions; and perform technical assessments in major field investigations as needed.
- Serve as the primary advisor and help the Engineering and Research Division maintain internal and external communication through Internet based publications, town-hall technology briefings and public notification of program/project status. Deliver logical, analytical and comprehensive solutions during public meetings designed to communicate pipeline safety R&D projects. Maintain effective relationships and outreach with other government agencies as needed for the department.
- Provide direct technical support or adequate contractor support for development and implementation of program and procedural guidelines for evaluating pipeline industry performance. Candidate will also be responsible for identifying problems and issues having national significance and for ensuring contractor support is available as needed to address and resolve them.
- Utilize a thorough technical professional knowledge of engineering fundamentals, concepts, techniques and procedures in the areas of engineering analysis. Exercise originality and technical engineering judgment in developing and conducting phases or projects lacking precedent guidance and involving determinations of new or unique methods of approach, unusual evaluation techniques, and special adaptation. .
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, AND (3) meet either the education or experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
To qualify on Education, you must have:
To qualify on Experience, you must have one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the following:
2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree OR master's or equivalent graduate degree
- Experience applying general engineering concepts and affect new developments applicable to emerging pipeline safety programs.
You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience
3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
- Experience applying engineering concepts, principles, and practices applicable to pipeline safety and/or hazardous materials.
- Experience writing briefing papers and/or accident reports.
You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience
There is no education substitute.
- Experience conducting safety program reviews and providing engineering analyses and evaluations of pipeline safety and/or hazardous materials regulatory deficiencies.
- Experience conducting analysis and evaluation of research materials to improve safety.
There is no education substitute
- Experience providing technical support and guidance in pipeline or hazardous materials safety issues.
- Experience reviewing engineering analysis, policies and procedures.
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENT:
All applicants must meet one of the following requirements to qualify for consideration for an engineering position:
- Successful completion of a professional engineering degree at an accredited university or college
- Have a combination of college level education or training AND technical experience that has furnished you with (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
- Professional registration as an engineer.
- Evidence of Passing the Engineer-in-Training Written Test.
- Successful documented completion of at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences as described by OPM.
- Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field and at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance.
Please review the OPM page on specifics about required curriculum and for more information on qualifications, please visit GS-800: All Professional Engineering Positions qualifications.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- SELECTIVE SERVICE: Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CARD: You must be able to obtain and retain a Government contractor-issued travel card to be used for official business as a condition of employment. If unable to obtain and/or retain a card, you may be subject to removal. Those who fail to meet this condition of employment will have our offer of employment rescinded.
- DEU REQUIREMENTS: Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans. The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
If you are having difficulty applying online, send an email to email@example.com or call us at (202)366-1298.
The following documents must be provided by the closing date:
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
- RESUME: Showing relevant experience and education and fully supporting the required specialized experience.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE.
- TRANSCRIPTS (For the GS-09 and GS-11): If you are SUBSTITUTING EDUCATION FOR EXPERIENCE, you must submit a copy of your college transcript.
- VETERANS: In order to be considered as preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty. If you are claiming compensably disabled preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your DD214; an Application for 10-point Veteran's Preference, SF15; and the proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally an official statement, dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran's preference. Additional information on veterans' preference is available in the Vet's Guide at: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/vetguide/index.aspx
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS: If requesting concurrent consideration for: http://www.opm.gov/hr_practitioners/lawsregulations/appointingauthorities/index.asp#AppointmentsLeading Noncompetitive Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility, (e.g. military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/hire/hrp/qaspouse/index.aspx military spouse NC appointments or http://www.opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp" Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration.
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS: - Only required if requesting priority consideration under https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf</A>. You must submit ALL of the FOLLOWING: your most recent performance appraisal, the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency and your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. To receive priority consideration, you MUST be deemed well qualified for this vacancy (falling in the Gold Category).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status into by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.