Degree: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in dietetics, food, nutrition, food service management, institution management, or related science.
Dietitian: For dietitian positions, the curriculum must have been in accordance with the qualifying requirements established by The American Dietetic Association (ADA) in effect at the time of graduation. Information on ADA-approved curricula may be obtained from The American Dietetic Association, 430 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60611. (Professional registration as a registered dietitian (R.D.) is evidence of meeting ADA requirements.)
In addition to meeting the basic entry qualification requirements, applicants must have specialized experience and/or directly related education in the amounts shown below:
GS-09: On year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 level. GS-11: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-9 level. GS-12: One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level. Specialized is experience which may have been gained while evaluating nutritional assessments, reviewing and interprets pertinent diagnostic and treatment data, and developing, implementing and monitoring a nutritional care plan; reviewing and calculating modified diets to meet the special dietary needs of those patients requiring nutrition intervention. Experience may include documenting the nutritional status, nutrient intake, nutritional education, and other pertinent data; participating in health care team rounds and treatment and discharge planning conferences, is recognized as the nutrition expert, evaluating nutritional care, and providing follow-up for continuity of care after discharge.
EDUCATION: In lieu of specialized experience, applicants can substitute the following levels of education at GS-09, and GS-11. There is no substitution of education for specialized experience at the GS-12 level.
GS-09: 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree in a related field.
GS-11: 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in a related field.
Combination of Graduate Education and Professional Experience: Combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and specialized experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. Only graduate level education in excess of the amount required for the next lower grade level may be combined with experience. Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
1) Knowledge of the principles and practices of clinical dietetics and medical nutrition therapy for patients with complex medical conditions in order to plan, develop, and coordinate medical nutrition therapy intervention, interdisciplinary care plans, and nutrition education activities.
2) Knowledge of complex areas of clinical nutrition including management of critically ill and malnourished patients, and ability to apply medical nutrition therapy to patients with multiple co-morbidities.
3) Ability to act as a mentor/consultant for health care providers including registered dietitians, dietetic interns, physicians, medical students, and allied health professionals.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Position may be subject to random drug testing.
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required.
- Employee must maintain current certifications.
- Position may require an appropriate security clearance.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent". It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number and last four digits of your social security number.