This position has a positive education requirement. To qualify for this position you must meet one of the basic requirements described below.
Completion of all requirements for a bachelors degree in accounting from an accredited college or university; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law.
Candidates may also qualify through a combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of professional accounting experience (at least one year must be equivalent to the journeyman level) or an equivalent combination of professional accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge AND 24 semester hours in accounting/auditing courses or a certificate as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor
To qualify for the GS-09 grade level: In addition to meeting the basic requirements, applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service, or comparable in difficulty and responsibility to GS-07 if outside the Federal service is required. Specialized experience is defined as: Providing professional accounting services, advice, assistance, and information to an assigned area by applying accounting concepts, principles, and methods to the day-to-day accounting operations.
Examples of qualifying specialized experience at the GS-09 grade level: Perform duties concerned with tracking, analyzing, and reporting on financial activities; recording and reporting obligations and expenditures of appropriated funds; and evaluating the effectiveness of internal accounting controls and systems. Professional accounting work experience in preparing accounting and financial reports for use by others; analyzing and reconciling reports to reflect an organization's financial activities and status of funds; designing, developing, examining and interpreting accounting data, statements and reports for management's use; and reviewing and analyzing financial statements and reports for the purpose of maintaining integrity of financial information and monitoring program effectiveness.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE at the GS-09 level: A Master's or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B. or J.D. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
To qualify for the GS-11 grade level: In addition to meeting the basic requirements, applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service, or comparable in difficulty and responsibility to GS-09 if outside the Federal service is required. Specialized experience is defined as: Experience providing professional accounting services in the interpretation and application of accounting principles, policies, and procedures.
Examples of qualifying specialized experience for the GS-11 grade level: Knowledge of analyzing and interpreting, developing, adapting, modifying or integrating accounting data; Designing, implementing and assessing internal control processes; providing analyses and reconciliations related to accounting functions involving a large number of transactions across interrelated systems; Preparing fiduciary financial reports; Conducting studies of financial management execution activities; Enhancing the validity, accuracy, and integrity of accounting processes.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE at the GS-11 level: A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M. may be substituted to meet the specialized experience requirement. Such education must demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements.
Background or Security Investigation: This is a non-critical sensitive position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated and rated under the Category Rating and Selection Procedures. All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated based upon information you provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If a determination is made that the work experience described in your submitted resume does not support your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire, your score may be reduced, and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are already a DFAS employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action up to and including removal from Federal service.
Eligible candidates will then be placed for selection consideration into 3 categories as described below:
- Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualifications and demonstrates minimum experience and/or training only based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Highly Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates full-performance level experience based on responses to occupational questionnaire.
- Best Qualified Category. Meets the minimum qualification requirements and demonstrates experience as an expert in the field or recognized as a senior specialist, team lead, etc.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
· Accounting Concepts, Policies and Principles - Apply federal accounting standards, fiscal law, policies, regulations, principles, standards, internal controls and procedures to financial management activities.
· Accounting Analysis - Analyze, evaluate and review accounting data and reports using business tools and applications, and performance metrics to provide recommendations.
· Problem Solving - Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; seeks/generates and evaluates alternative perspectives/solutions; makes timely/effective recommendations, based on potential implications of findings or conclusions. Critically evaluates to identify the causes of problems, and chooses courses of action that balance the interests of the mission and stakeholders.
· Customer Service - Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement.
· Written Communication: Writes to convey information in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience, using correct English grammar, punctuation and spelling. Expresses thoughts persuasively and uses effective modes to reinforce message retention.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.