About the Agency
This position is located in the Immediate Office, National Center for Environmental Research, Office of Research and Development (ORD). ORD is the scientific research arm of EPA, whose leading-edge research helps provide the solid underpinning of science and technology for the Agency. The National Center for Environmental Research (NCER) is one of seven research organizations that comprise ORD. NCER's mission is to support high-quality research by the nation's leading scientists and engineers that will improve the scientific basis for national environmental decisions. NCER achieves this by managing competitions for the Science to Achieve Results (STAR) and People, Prosperity and the Planet (P3) grants programs; STAR and Greater Research Opportunities (GRO) fellowships; and research contracts under the Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) Program.
The incumbent serves as a key advisor to the Center Director fully sharing in the leadership and management of Center activities. The Deputy Director also has a specific responsibility to oversee administrative functions to ensure the effective and efficient use of all resources and compliance with all Agency and ORD policies and procedures. In this capacity the incumbent exercises a leadership role in establishing and maintaining and appropriate control environment consistent with the requirement of the Federal Managers Financial Integrity Act (FMFIA).
1. Provides expertise and assistance to the National Center Director in the management of all Center activities. Represents the Director in executive level meetings and briefings with EPA program offices, Federal Agencies, and outside stakeholders. Provides guidance and direction to Center managers concerning laboratory performance and progress in meeting the Center’s goals and objectives.
2. Superior diplomatic and leadership skills are essential to ensure compliance with Federal, EPA and ORD regulations and policies concerning financial management, human resources and other administrative processes. Provides the necessary linkage between the ORD community, as well as the Agency, in effecting directed changes in management and operation of the Center. Independently identifies problems and oversees implementation of corrective actions.
3. Exercises a leadership role in establishing and maintaining an appropriate control environment consistent with the requirements of the Federal Managers Financial Integrity Act (FMFIA).
4. Responsible for the operational and financial accountability of the Center, including: management integrity; extramural resource management; ensuring appropriate and effective systems, procedures, management controls, communications, and outreach are in place; and ensuring an effective quality system that conforms to Agency policy on quality assurance.
5. Assumes full responsibility, in the absence of the National Center Director, for management of financial and human resources. Provides leadership to senior managers and staff to ensure resources and materials are used effectively and efficiently. Provides guidance and leadership in coordinating, staffing and organizing the Center’s research activities in consultation with the Center Director. Serves as the principal advisor and alter ego to the National Center Director in providing continuity and linkage between staff offices and Divisions, ensuring practices are in conformance with ORD, Agency, and Government-wide financial policies and budget requirements.
6. Exercises independent authority to allocate funds (within the ORD Delegations of Authority). Provides expert guidance to NCER divisions to help manage fiscal obligations consistent with Agency and ORD guidance and commitments. Ensures that all employees with contract, grants, cooperative agreement and/or interagency agreement responsibilities receive required training and adequate support. Ensures that inherently governmental functions are not performed by non-Federal employees.
7. Establishes, implements, and maintains a quality assurance (QA) program to ensure that environmental measurement programs provide data of the type and quality needed to support the intended decisions. Assures compliance with all QA related Agency policies, procedures, and regulations. Ensures that current quality assurance documentation, including Quality Management Plans and QA work plans, are properly maintained.
8. Coordinates Center activities with representatives of foreign, State, and municipal governments, and with other Federal agencies, industry, academia, and private organizations sharing a mutual interest of responsibility with the major program areas assigned to the Center. Develops and maintains a close working relationship with university and private research organizations and other governmental research laboratories that are concerned with programs within the Center’s assigned major program areas.
9. Responsible for overseeing a comprehensive Center communications and outreach program which disseminates NCER and ORD science information to groups, individuals, and the general public. General leadership and guidance of the overall communications program objectives and policies are provided by the Deputy Director.
10. Assists the ORD Senior Resource Official (SRO) in all phases of resources management in matters concerning NCER. Carries out the functional responsibilities for the SRO as referred in EPA Order 1130.2. Serves as the National Center Director in the absence of the Director.