Job Title: Student Trainee (Mathematics and Statistics)Job Announcement Number: NASS-S14N-0077
Department: Department Of Agriculture
Agency: National Agricultural Statistics Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour
Monday, March 24, 2014 to
Thursday, March 20, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Multiple Schedules -
Few vacancies in the following location:
Athens, GA View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Individuals who have been accepted for enrollment or are enrolled and seeking a degree (diploma, certificate, etc.) in a qualifying educational institution on a full or half-time basis.
The National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) is the data collection and dissemination arm of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. NASS gathers and publishes a vast array of information on every facet of U.S. agriculture, including production, economics, demographics, and the environment.
NASS is seeking qualified students to perform statistical clerical assignments in support of their statistical mission.
This announcement will be used to fill full-time and part-time internship positions.
Telework is available for this position.
- U.S. Citizen
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Enrolled at least half-time at a qualifying educational institution
- At least 16 years of age
DUTIES:Back to top
As a student trainee, you will:
- Assist in preparing questionnaires, reports, and publications under the direction of statisticians.
- Assist in preparing moderately difficult worksheets for summarization of survey data using a calculator or computerized spreadsheets and databases.
- Assist in preparing and maintaining computerized charts and graphs for use by statisticians.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Applicants must be currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a student on at least a half-time schedule at a qualifying educational institution in a certificate, degree, or diploma program.
In addition to meeting the eligibility requirements, applicants must meet the qualification requirements outlined below in order to qualify.
GS-03: Applicants must have 6 (six) months of general experience performing clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position OR 1 (one) year of education above high school.
GS-04: Applicants must have 1 (one) year of general experience performing clerical, office, or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position OR 2 (two) years of education above high school OR Associates degree.
GS-05: Applicants must have 1 (one) year of specialized experience at the GS-04 grade level OR 4 (four) years of education above the high school level. Specialized experience is experience using computer software and computer applications in order to analyze numeric (statistical) data from questionnaires or statistical files.
If qualifying all or in part based on your education, you must submit a copy of your academic transcripts OR a list of college courses with credit hours, dates completed, and grade point average or class ranking to verify education when applying for this position. If this information is not provided, your education may not be appropriately evaluated and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are selected for this position, you will have to provide an official copy of your transcripts prior to entering on duty.
Education completed outside of the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in conventional/accredited U.S. education programs to be acceptable for Federal employment. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying. Please visit the Office of Personnel Management's website for additional information on this topic.
Qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume, supporting documents and responses to the online questionnaire will be reviewed to determine if you meet eligibility and minimum qualification requirements. Veterans preference applies to all selections made under the Pathways authority in accordance with Part 302 of 5 CFR.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Your application package must be complete by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on Monday, March 31, 2014.
You must apply online or by fax (see below for details). Applications sent by mail (including e-mail) or hand-delivered will not be accepted.
Choose either Option A or Option B to apply for this position:
Option A: Online Application
Click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire and upload (or reuse) supporting documents. You must click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
Note: To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
To fax supporting documents that you are unable to upload:
1. Click here to print a fax cover page
2. Complete all blocks on the cover page using 1078590. Documents will not be processed if information is missing.
3. Fax the completed cover page and your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
Option B: Fax
If you cannot apply online, follow these steps to fax your complete application package.
1. Click the following link to print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire;
2. Click here to print the 1203FX form, which you will use to provide your responses to the occupational questionnaire; and
3. Fax the completed 1203FX (all 6 pages), your resume, and supporting documents (including those specified in the Required Documents section below) to 1-478-757-3144. The 1203FX will serve as the cover page for your fax transmission and must be placed on top of all other documents.
The following documents are required:
- Assessment questionnaire (completed online or submitted by fax using the 1203FX)
- Proof of enrollment, in the form of letters, records or statements issued from a high school, vocational institution, college, or university
- Transcripts (if qualifying based on your education)
- Veterans' preference documentation (if claiming veterans' preference)
If your application package does not contain all required documents, you may lose consideration for the position.
Please do not include your Social Security Number (SSN) on your resume or supporting documents.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the online application process is complete, you will receive an acknowledgement e-mail. Qualified applicants will be referred to the selecting official for consideration. If there are qualified candidates with veterans' preference, only those applicants will be referred to the hiring manager.