AMENDMENT: THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT IS BEING AMENDED TO CHANGE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SECURITY CLEARANCE WHICH ARE LISTED IN THE REQUIREMENTS SECTION OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT.
Experience your America and build a fulfilling career by joining the National Park Service. Become a part of our mission to unite our past, our cultures and our special places, to establish important connections to the present and build a rich and lasting legacy for future generations. For more information about the National Park Service, visit http://www.nps.gov
There are 2 positions available: (1) National Capital Parks-East, Washington, DC; (2) Office of the National Park Service Liaison to the White House, Washington, DC
WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED: All U.S. Citizens
SPECIAL HIRING AUTHORIZES CONSIDERATION: Eligible under Special Appointment Authority; Individuals who are eligible for consideration under special hiring authority (i.e., 30% compensable veterans, severely handicapped individuals, former Peace Corps and VISTA volunteers, etc.) will be accepted and considered non-competitively for this vacancy.
These positions are also being advertised for Merit Promotion eligibles. It can be found on http://www.usajobs.gov/. Search for Vacancy Announcement number NPS-NCR-14-1071181 (kb) or by title/series and location.
National Capital Parks East, is a cluster of 9 park areas at multiple locations that are a part of Washington, D.C. and its eastern environs. The park areas encompass over 1,695 acres and offer a wide array of historic, natural, and recreational areas. The resources are as diverse as historic sites, recreation fields, tidal and non-tidal wetlands, meadows and forests, statuary, parkways, and archeological sites.
National Park Service Liaison to the White House is responsible for the grounds and structures surrounding Presidents Park, located in the heart of the Nations Capital, stand as a symbol of democracy. The White House and its park grounds serve not only as the seat of the executive branch of government of the United States of America, but also as an iconic place for civil discourse.
- Responsible for overall supervision and coordination of NPS park operations, including all program development, implementation, and all aspects of accountability
- Plans, directs coordinates and provides executive leadership to park programs and operations
- Responsible for coordinating the activities of subordinate managers, guiding the direction of their efforts, setting priorities, allocating resources, setting standards, evaluating performance, stimulating extra efforts and otherwise maintaining an effective, efficient organization with active programs serving the public interest and mandates of higher authorities
- Provides leadership in development of policies, standards and procedures which govern the professional conduct of work related to the administration and implementation of programs, including, but not limited to the functional areas of park maintenance, preservation, resource management (natural and cultural), visitor services, safety/risk management, law enforcement and park compendium, partnerships, civic engagement, concessions, human resource management, administration, budget planning and execution, park development, land use and public relations
- Establishes and maintains an effective working relationship with Departmental, Federal, and local officials, community leaders, and the general public
- Develops a series of long term plans which includes management of operations, park development, and long term funding and staffing levels
- Directs overall operations and is responsible for formulation and execution of an annual base operating budget which exceeds over $9 million dollars
- Advances the NPS goals of nurturing lifelong connections between the public and parks while working in our Nations Capital, a dynamic urban area
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional overnight travel may be required