This position is located in the Division of Environmental Health Services, Office of Environmental Health and Engineering with the Albuquerque Area Indian Health Service. This position in responsible for independently planning, implementing and evaluating an Area-wide comprehensive Institutional Environmental Health program designed to provide protection for patients, staff and visitors within the Albuquerque Area Indian Health Service healthcare facilities. The Institutional Environmental Health program provides technical services to the Areas healthcare facilities and other operating divisions for industrial hygiene, occupational safety and health, health care accreditation, radiation protection, infection prevention, healthcare emergency management and environmental protection.
For information on the IHS visit: http://www.ihs.gov
Who may apply:
Excepted Service Examining Plan Candidates (ESEP) - Indian Preference
Merit Promotion Plan Candidates (MPP)
Veteran's Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunity Act Candidates (VEOA)
Commissioned Corps Officers: The USPHS Commissioned Corps Officers who wish to apply for this vacancy announcement must submit a resume and all other documents specified in this announcement. Commissioned Corps Officers apply under merit promotion procedures. If you are a Commissioned Corps Officer, select the occupational code for merit promotion as well as any other code that you are eligible to receive consideration.
- See http://www.ihs.gov/jobsatihs/ for more details
The Indian Health Service is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified Indian applicants and employees who are qualified and suitable for Federal employment. The Indian Health Service (IHS) by law is committed to affording employment preference to American Indian and Alaska Native candidates who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. In other than the above, the Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under the Delegated Examining (DE) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number HHS-IHS-DE-14-1075902; for eligibility requirements. Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered. NOTE: Please review the announcements to ensure that you are applying to the correct announcement. You are responsible for the accuracy of your application.
Additional selections of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement, for filling additional or similar positions.
At the full performance level of the position the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Implements and assists in the planning, directing, coordinating and evaluating of the Institutional Environmental Health programs within the Areas health care facilities.
- Serves as a consultant regarding applicable aspects of The Joint Commission, Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Occupational Safety and Health Administration and other federal or state agencies for matters relating to Institutional Environmental Health
- Anticipates, recognizes, evaluates and controls environmental factors or stressors arising from the workplace which may cause sickness, impaired health and well-being, or significant discomfort among workers or patients, staff or visitors, in the healthcare environment.
- Performs inspections, surveys and program reviews of healthcare facilities to identify and evaluate conditions which may be: hazardous to patients and employees health and safety for compliance with regulations and accreditation standards applicable to the Institutional Environmental Health program.
- Occasional Travel
- Work includes occasional overnight travel and driving.