The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining procedures.
Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-14-CR-1074307-DHA for eligibility
requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in
order to be considered or Direct Hire.
To provide Clinical Nursing services to a wide variety of obstetrical patients on Women's Health Unit (WHU). The incumbent reports to Supervisory Clinical Nurse. This position is located at Crownpoint Healthcare Facility (CPSU), Division of Nursing Services, Women's Health Unit (WHU), Crownpoint, NM.
See http://www.ihs.gov/jobsatihs/ for more details.
- Provides nursing care to the antepartum, intrapartum, and postpartum patients, obstetrical triage, non-stress tests, administering medications, performing vaginal checks for dilation, effacement, station, presenting part, position status of membranes, operating fetal monitors, interpretation of fetal monitor strips and neonatal monitoring devices.
- Provides nursing care to the newborn infants during recovery and post-recovery, provide nursery care to Level 1 special care nursery of newborn infants.
- Utilizes the nursing process in identifying individual patient problems and in developing, implementing and evaluating patient care plans using standard of care.
- Operates and monitors specialized equipment safely and correctly.
- Administers therapeutic measures as prescribed by the physician.