One year of full-time experience at the GS-9 level that is close or similar to the work of this job. The experience includes activities such technical support for state-of-the-art digital systems, operating high-speed digital oscilloscopes, logic and spectrum analyzers. Good hands-on electronics skills to isolate and repair faults in multi-layered boards with a wide range of IC/s such as FPGAs, ASICs and DSPs.
EDUCATION MAY BE SUBSTITUTED FOR EXPERIENCE AS FOLLOW:
GS 11: Graduate education or an internship meets the specialized experience required above GS-5 only in those instances where it is directly related to the work of the position. Three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree may be substitued provided it is directly related to the work of the position.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the above requirements provided you can show that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management web site: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/electronics-technical-series-0856/
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Skill in applying a wide range of specialized methods, techniques, procedures and/or practices to sufficiently test, evaluate and debug items and systems with test software associated with the correlator’s state-of-the-art digital systems.
- Ability to design and develop test fixtures and instrumentation to enable the incumbent to efficiently test and analyze complex digital systems and subsystems.
- Ability to operate relevant test equipment, including high-speed digital oscilloscopes, (over 1GHz), logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers, etc.
- Knowledge of design and layout of computer software such as Viewlogic/Viewdraw or equivalent is required to perform testing and debugging of highly complex digital systems.
- Ability to isolate and repair faults in complex, large 15 layer digital circuit boards, with a range of IC's, including ASICs, FPGAs, DSPs and microcontrollers.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member on projects successfully using strong oral and written communication skills during normal and emergency situations.
Supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience.
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria:
Best Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above.
Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above.
Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree.
This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.
Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher.
Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position. Important Note:
The review of your resume will determine your final rating and should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.