About the Agency
This position is to provide expert mechanical technician support for maintenance and repair of complex mechanical systems within the SMA antennas, summit and Hilo facilities. Working with the Summit Engineering Supervisor and other support staff, the incumbent will be responsible for many areas of mechanical activity at the observatory.
- Provides technical expertise in the maintenance and/or repair of precision mechanical assemblies in the SMA radio telescopes at the observatory on Mauna Kea. These assemblies encompass a diverse range of mechanical areas including precision mechanical mounts, motors and gearboxes, cryogenic systems, hydraulic systems and precision servo systems. These systems vary greatly in complexity and mass, thereby requiring excellent skills in understanding design drawings, procedures and Bill of Materials.
- Perform precise mechanical alignments of SMA antennas and associated mechanical and optical components using developed procedures and, using specialized equipment, run tests to perform optical alignments, various mechanical tests, etc.
- Perform precise optical alignments of various assemblies used in the antenna’s optical systems and their co-alignment to the pointing and servo systems. Assemble and/or disassembly of various optical assemblies to make repairs or install new components.
- With other members of the SMA antenna group, develop maintenance tasks that result in optimal mechanical operation of the SMA antennas, transporter and all other mechanical systems to be operated at the SMA Site on Manna Kea. Implement (or in some cases, supervise the implementation of) these required maintenance activities.
- Operate specialized boom and bridge cranes, forklift trucks used in the assembly of large antenna components. Additionally the incumbent will work with the antenna transporter, which is used to move the antennas.
- Operate machine tools such as lathes, drills, milling machines, planers, etc. to perform machining and modifications of new and existing mechanical parts.