Job Title: Engineering Technician (Mechanical)Job Announcement Number: 14-18
Agency: Smithsonian Institution
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, March 13, 2014 to
Friday, April 04, 2014
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Hilo, HI View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
This position is open to current and former Federal employees with permanent status or reinstatement eligibility. Individuals who are eligible for a special appointing authority may also apply; such as applicants with a disability, former Peace Corps volunteers, certain military spouses, veterans seeking a VRA/VEOA appointment, or veterans who have been separated from armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous active service. Must be a US citizen.
About the Agency
This position is to provide expert mechanical technician support for maintenance and repair of complex mechanical systems within the SMA antennas, summit and Hilo facilities. Working with the Summit Engineering Supervisor and other support staff, the incumbent will be responsible for many areas of mechanical activity at the observatory.
- May be required to pass Pre-employment Background Investigation.
- May be required to serve a one-year probationary
- Must maintain a bank account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Must possess a valid state driver's license.
- This position receives a COLA of 6.24%
- Must pass a high altitude physical examination prior to employment.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
One year of full-time experience at the GS-8 or equivalent that is close or similar to the work of this position. The experience includes activities such as working with mechanical assemblies in large instruments and/or industrial equipment and experience with machining operations on metals and plastics.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job opportunity announcement closing date.
For information on qualification requirements, see Qualification Standards Handbook for General Schedule Positions viewable on the
web at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Knowledge applying mechanical engineering principles, techniques and concepts that are applicable to precision mechanical assemblies used in large instruments and/or equipment.
- Ability to read and understand mechanical drawings, plans, and specifications in order to make informed decisions on problems and issues and to identify and correct deficiencies, recommend improved designs and/or manufacturing procedures.
- Skill in modifying existing parts, instruments and/or equipment in order to adapt them to new interfaces and preparing the necessary documentation.
- Knowledge of machining using lathes, multi-axis mills, drill presses, etc, fabricating, assembling and testing mechanical assemblies and fixtures required for the maintenance and enhancement of precision mechanisms.
- Skill in operating heavy equipment such as fork-lift trucks and front loaders for use in mechanical assembly, unloading and loading heavy mechanical fixtures and snow removal operations.
- Ability to work independently or as an integral member of a diverse team of technicians, engineers and scientists using effective oral and written communication skills.
Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience.
Your resume should provide detailed information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.